MF 165 knocking

/ MF 165 knocking #71  
I was in the same situation after I finished the rebuild on mine. The guy at the automotive machine shop told me to chain it to a tree and spin the tires for a few minutes is all that was required to seat the rings. Worked for a Massey dealer back in the early 70's and had a customer get his 1130 hot and siezed the engine. We had a terrible time getting the sleeves out as they were dry sleeves. The factory told us to weld up and down in the liners to shrink them so they could be pulled out. We also had to freeze the new ones to get them in.

/ MF 165 knocking
Good idea, but I'm hesitate to do that because the rear tires are original and not in the best shape as you can imagine.

I was in the same situation after I finished the rebuild on mine. The guy at the automotive machine shop told me to chain it to a tree and spin the tires for a few minutes is all that was required to seat the rings.

/ MF 165 knocking #73  
It seemed pretty weird to me and still does. I never did it. I got done with the rebuild early winter and it started to snow and never stopped. I had to hurry and get the loader on and pushed snow with the rear blade most of the time. I just didn't let it idle very long.

/ MF 165 knocking #74  
DaButcher, I got a chance to read your whole thread and see you have done a great job in the rebuild. If the results are anything like the work put in it, you should have a strong running tractor that will last a long time. I was surprised in how the dry sleeves were removed. I would have never guessed that they would peel out like they did. Hutch sure knows his stuff. This will be good info for if a larger MF diesel is in my future. Makes me wonder if I am mistaken about welding on the 1130 sleeves back in the early 70's. Is old age playing games with my mind? Working for the Massey dealer has given me some insight in to these tractors but I was young and dumb at the time and could have learned a lot more.

/ MF 165 knocking
Thanks namyessam......I don't think you are mistaken about the welding of the sleeves, several people have told me they used that method with success.

DaButcher, I got a chance to read your whole thread and see you have done a great job in the rebuild. If the results are anything like the work put in it, you should have a strong running tractor that will last a long time. I was surprised in how the dry sleeves were removed. I would have never guessed that they would peel out like they did. Hutch sure knows his stuff. This will be good info for if a larger MF diesel is in my future. Makes me wonder if I am mistaken about welding on the 1130 sleeves back in the early 70's. Is old age playing games with my mind? Working for the Massey dealer has given me some insight in to these tractors but I was young and dumb at the time and could have learned a lot more.

/ MF 165 knocking
Got the engine stabbed last night, not easy without help but doable using the "eyeball it" method to line up the clutches, then follow Shona's advise of a couple studs and constant measuring to assure it goes in straight and level. Still have some parts to put on the engine and bolt the front end back on, but shouldn't take to long. Hope to make some smoke very sooooooon.

/ MF 165 knocking #77  
Texwing needs to pay attention to what your doing. He thinks he's going to have to replace/rebuild the oil pump. His is a Continental but the basic breakdown is the same. Looking good Butcha :thumbsup: -kid

/ MF 165 knocking
Thanks to everyone who helped me through this. Got it running today and it sounds really good and strong, the only issue I see is the injection pump shafts leak fuel, I'll take care of that later.

Some of the Tisco gaskets were not cut perfectly
P3310173_zps4c13a65b.jpg

When I got the tractor the alternator bracket was broke, so I bought heavy duty brackets off a industrial version of this tractor at the local MF dealer.
P3300167_zps241141fe.jpg

P3300155_zps805a973c.jpg

At this point I went ahead and cranked the motor to make sure oil pressure was good
P3300159_zpsbe52d753.jpg

This is the pressure at starter cranking speed
P3300161_zps48fe48b8.jpg

With steer axle in place about 8 hours of work later is when I started it
P3300163_zpsc3ceb681.jpg

/ MF 165 knocking #79  
Thanks to everyone who helped me through this. Got it running today and it sounds really good and strong, the only issue I see is the injection pump shafts leak fuel, I'll take care of that later.

I posted some links yesterday on some info I found to fix that leak without removing the pump. From what I've read , it's tricky but can be done. -kid

/ MF 165 knocking
Ya, it's no big deal, I've done several on Ford and Isuzu engines
I posted some links yesterday on some info I found to fix that leak without removing the pump. From what I've read , it's tricky but can be done. -kid