Mexican restaurant ground beef

/ Mexican restaurant ground beef #31  
Yeah, Tex-Mex (think Taco Smell) ain't Mexican food. I don't know what it is, but to me it isn't Mexican food. Closer to Jailhouse Chili, maybe. REAL Mexican food is wonderful.

A lot of caribbean food down here now. Interesting stuff. Jerked seasonings, plantains. Had a Cuban sandwich from Polo Tropical* last night. Not bad for a fast food place. Not bad at all. (*don't even try to pronounce it)

I used to make my own Cubans. Good stuff. Our Publix carries Cuban bread which, I understand is becoming popular all over. When I used to have to go to the Miami VA, there's a Restaurant there (in Hialeah) that I always used to stop at to get a Mojo/Adobo Pork sandwich. Mojo is a good marinade. Had it timed to where I could make it home before I had visit the restroom (or else)

Maybe if I'd not had the Cuban Coffee. Dangerous stuff for us white-bread types. :)

/ Mexican restaurant ground beef #32  
Maid Rite restaurant in Quincy IL I think double grinds their beef. Rumor has it they mix in a little liver. I've ate at another Maid Rite and it wasn't the same. Alton Brown did a show on that location.
We (my employer, big three chicKen producer) sold chicken to Taco Bell Corp. years ago. Our QA manager tourEd their prep facility once and he said they mixed in ground chicken livers to the ground beef for the fine texture it added. Cheap too. 😬

Last edited:
   / Mexican restaurant ground beef #33  
No such thing as 'real' Mexican food. It all depends on what part of Mexico you use as influence. Of course, Mexican food is a blend of Spanish and Native cuisines as well. Both of those were derived from multiple cultures as well. Tex-Mex is no less "Mexican" food than Yucatecan or Oaxacan food. The Tejanos were here before the Americans moved in and they developed their own cuisine.

If you don't like it, fine. Most of those complaints come from Californians who don't like it because it is different than the type there. Me, I love the diversity of flavors of all of it. Oh, and for the record, Taco Bell started in California, not Texas (I agree it is not good).

/ Mexican restaurant ground beef #34  
Pretty much the same way here in the US don't you think . . . ;).

/ Mexican restaurant ground beef #35  
.....and then ya got Navajo Tacos in the southwest. Pretty tasty too.

/ Mexican restaurant ground beef #36  
   / Mexican restaurant ground beef #37  
We're blessed to have a great Mexican restaurant that's less than 10 minutes from here. We always drive one of the Mustangs because although food is great I can make it home in 5. Key in door as labor pains start, but I usually just make it.
Usually.
It seems like the closer you get to the bathroom the worse the pain gets, next time I'm going to try running away from the bathroom. ;)

/ Mexican restaurant ground beef #38  
Yeah, Tex-Mex (think Taco Smell) ain't Mexican food. I don't know what it is, but to me it isn't Mexican food. Closer to Jailhouse Chili, maybe. REAL Mexican food is wonderful.

A lot of caribbean food down here now. Interesting stuff. Jerked seasonings, plantains. Had a Cuban sandwich from Polo Tropical* last night. Not bad for a fast food place. Not bad at all. (*don't even try to pronounce it)

I used to make my own Cubans. Good stuff. Our Publix carries Cuban bread which, I understand is becoming popular all over. When I used to have to go to the Miami VA, there's a Restaurant there (in Hialeah) that I always used to stop at to get a Mojo/Adobo
No such thing as 'real' Mexican food. It all depends on what part of Mexico you use as influence. Of course, Mexican food is a blend of Spanish and Native cuisines as well. Both of those were derived from multiple cultures as well. Tex-Mex is no less "Mexican" food than Yucatecan or Oaxacan food. The Tejanos were here before the Americans moved in and they developed their own cuisine.

If you don't like it, fine. Most of those complaints come from Californians who don't like it because it is different than the type there. Me, I love the diversity of flavors of all of it. Oh, and for the record, Taco Bell started in California, not Texas (I agree it is not good
Yeah, you nailed it. Mexico is a big country with lots of regional foods, and it’s even more diverse when you include the southwest US regional variations. I’m partial to New Mexico chile, rellenos, and carne adovada, but I love the Tex-Mex fajitas and brisket tacos as well. And some Sonoran style foods like you find in Arizona and California (like fish tacos) are also very tasty.

/ Mexican restaurant ground beef #39  
Yeah, you nailed it. Mexico is a big country with lots of regional foods, and it’s even more diverse when you include the southwest US regional variations. I’m partial to New Mexico chile, rellenos, and carne adovada, but I love the Tex-Mex fajitas and brisket tacos as well. And some Sonoran style foods like you find in Arizona and California (like fish tacos) are also very tasty.
This type of Tex-MEx has reached all the way to Nashville. I once ate Tex-Mex in Tulsa and the two were nearly identical. It's those larger family places with under a dozen chain stores that keep to the original ways of cooking it all really well.

/ Mexican restaurant ground beef #40  
When we lived in Anchorage - there was this great Greek restaurant. Great Greek wine and FANTASTIC lasagna. Asked how they made it so tasty. They used goat meat.