Massey 5700S versus 5S tractors? Versus similar models from different brands?

/ Massey 5700S versus 5S tractors? Versus similar models from different brands? #1  

Sid Post

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 5711D, Kubota L4600, Kubota B2601
What can anyone tell me about the differences between a Massey 5700S and 5S? Has anyone run one of these Masseys and a CaseIh Maxxum or Vestrum that can comment on the experience? Is a $125K remotely reasonable to purchase one? And any comments from experience with ordering one to be built?

I have been working pretty hard the past couple of weeks to learn about larger tractors and how they might serve my needs better or worse. With the huge price increase of the Kubota options I was looking at, I did some deep dives on CaseIH and Massey options after being really surprised at the New Hollands being so deficient (1500lbs capacity loader on a 130Hp T5! :eek:) in comparison.

I am looking for a nominal loader capacity of approximately 4,000lbs minimum and PTO horsepower in the 95Hp range. With this, I want a more modern transmission than my current 'traditional' tractors. The new 'hydroformed' loaders available on AGCO tractors really help visibility too!

This has me looking at the CaseIH Maxxum and Vestrum, Kubota M6 and M7, and the Massey 5700, 6700, 5700S, and 5S. Of these, the CaseIH Maxxum cab was a little better than the others but, that isn't a decision point for me. The Kubota M6 seems to sort of slip between the CaseIH Vestrum and Maxxum, and the Massey 5700/6700 and the 5700S/5S. The Massey 5700S and 5S have a real advantage in visibility with the heavily sloped hoods and they are more compact front to rear being built in France and the road systems in Europe.

This has me pretty focused at the moment on the Massey 5700S and 5S in the low to mid $100K range. Weight and dimensions on these two are the same, as are loader options so, I'm having trouble identifying what is really different and what is unique beyond the obvious engine Hp and Dyna-4 vs. Dyna-6 transmission options. Costs and availability of options are really a mystery as well. Is the front axle suspension option available on the 5700S or is it just a 5S option and what does it cost? Working with two different dealers really hasn't helped me with issues like this because they don't sell enough of these tractors where I live to be really familiar with them beyond what I can read in the glossy brochure. I'm not really throwing them 'under the bus' because they sell a ton of 4700/5700/6700 tractors in ~$50K to ~$80K range with outliers being heavily optioned models in these ranges of the Global tractors. One dealer does sell ~4 5700S tractors a year and the other has not sold any to the best of my knowledge.

I did see a CaseIH Maxxum M150 model with a 16x16 transmission and a 4700lb lift capacity loader for an initial asking price of $150K. This is more tractor than I need and it has a 6-cylinder diesel engine which makes it a stout tractor but, probably also ups the fuel burn. I would be a lot more comfortable in the $125K range too than this price point but, that tractor seems to be fairly heavily discounted. CaseIH dealer support is a bit better where I live in Texas too so, that along with better creature comfort in the cab is an advantage.

The Kubota M6 and M7 are nice tractors but, being the only one or one of the very few around here has me looking somewhere else. And, while Kubota dominates a lot where I live, big tractors are not their main line product so, it is really a product-line filler IMHO around here. They may be great tractors for people somewhere else in the USA ag market though.

All this being said, I am thinking a Massey 5700S or 5S in the 110~125Hp range is the best option for me if I can get something in the $125K range equipped reasonably without all the precision ag stuff. If I go bigger with the CaseIh Maxxum, I can still get it on my current trailer but, it will be a tight fit. Whether I would save anything getting a specced Maxxum over the M150 offered and in stock so that is probably one of my better options if I don't get a Massey.

The big elephant in the room with Massey though, is whether any French-built Massey tractors are going to be available this year. French ag equipment production is down significantly due to factory shutdowns due to Natural Gas shortages as officially reported by some manufacturers but, labor issues are also a factory problem whether strikes are just short hours of productive time each week. Since all the Dyna transmission-equipped tractors are made in France, that could be a deal killer.

TIA,
Sid

Last edited:
   / Massey 5700S versus 5S tractors? Versus similar models from different brands?
Any comments or thoughts on the French-built Massey 5S or 5700S? Also, other than the Dyna-6 available on the Deluxe 5S, what else is different between them?