Mahindra 8560 won’t crank with key switch

/ Mahindra 8560 won’t crank with key switch #1  

firefighterfox

Tractor
Yanmar 4300
8560 will not start with key switch. I can jumper the battery wire on the starter to the small solenoid wire and it will crank. And if the key is in the on position it will start and run. All fuses check with voltage on both sides. I have also put a jumper on the hot ignition switch wire to the cranking wire on the switch and still it will not crank.
Does the cranking wire from the ignition switch go to something else before it goes to the starter solenoid. I have no schematic.
Thanks for any help.

/ Mahindra 8560 won’t crank with key switch #2  
First take an idiot light and make sure you have an energized start wire from ignition switch. If you do, check all (I personally bypass) all the safety switches. I don't know anything about your tractor. But most newer ones have PTO, neutral, maybe clutch or shuttle, seat switches. You can use an ohm meter also. And on some the start wire goes through all those safety switches and then to a relay. You tend to loose a little voltage at each switch and when a machine gets older I would add a relay close to the starter, keeping all the safety switches intact. So you also need to have about 12.7 bolts to start. 12 is not enough. That's why your tractor charges at 13.5 or so. One yesterday was at 14.07 so they vary. Make sure you have good voltage. Clean posts on battery. Make sure ground wire and positive wire bolted to tractor end cleanly. Charge if need to. I'd see if all that is good, because it never hurts to check all that. Then you can pursue the other maybes and feel confident about it. I have had that problem before and it was one of the big battery cable ends was crystallized inside where the wire went into the lead part that bolted on post.

/ Mahindra 8560 won’t crank with key switch
Safety switches was on my radar. There is plenty of battery to crank the engine over. There is also good voltage at the ignition switch. Turning the key on powers up all the engine lights. As I mentioned, the jumper from the battery cable on the starter to the small terminal on the starter relay will crank the engine over as it should. I don’t know where the safety switches are located. Perhaps someone here could tell me where they are located on the 8560 Mahindra?

/ Mahindra 8560 won’t crank with key switch #4  
Check for a starter relay near the fuse panel.
My 6520 starter wiring circuit also has a 5 and a 15 amp fuse in it. The 15 amp fuse went bad on me once.
hugs, Brandi

Last edited:
   / Mahindra 8560 won’t crank with key switch #5  
I dropped a wrench onto my PTO switch, breaking it. After that, it would not start. I replaced the PTO switch (after market from Amazon was around 1/10th of the OEM's cost), and it started right up. Been running great since then, and the PTO works normally, as well.

Also learned that I have to have the brake engaged or it won't crank, either. I park it with the brake locked, and I start it before I release the brake, and no issues. Cheers!

/ Mahindra 8560 won’t crank with key switch #6  
My 8560 would not crank from the seat when I was looking at it. Dealer agreed to fix it to make a sale.
He replaced the switch.

/ Mahindra 8560 won’t crank with key switch
I found the problem under the floor panel. The wire going to the PTO lever was cut. Wiring repaired and the starter circuit now works great!
Thanks for all the help.