Mahindra 4530 Which Trans Fluid, How to Check Level and Hyd Pump Problems?

/ Mahindra 4530 Which Trans Fluid, How to Check Level and Hyd Pump Problems? #1  

blkbird305

Tractor
Rusty stuff.
Hello,

I accidentally put a hole in the trans/hydraulic filter while cleaning up some brush. I figured this would be a good time to change the filter and clean the screen. While at the Mahindra dealer getting the filter the guy at the counter said any good Hy-Trans fluid will work, so I picked up the Tractor Supply brand because that was about all that was available locally.

Now I am getting very weak response from the steering even with the front on jacks and no hydraulic response at the loader or 3-point. Do you think I burned up the pump? It only ran for about 30 seconds with the hole in the filter and still had plenty of fluid in it when I changed the filter and cleaned the screen.

Also, I have read on here that the transmission fluid level is supposed to be checked with the tractor running. Where does it say that in the manual? I've checked the service manual and the operator's manual and they do not say that the engine needs to be running.

Thanks

/ Mahindra 4530 Which Trans Fluid, How to Check Level and Hyd Pump Problems? #2  
I highly doubt you burned the pump up. Im betting you have a good amount of air trapped in your hydraulic system though.

/ Mahindra 4530 Which Trans Fluid, How to Check Level and Hyd Pump Problems?
I highly doubt you burned the pump up. Im betting you have a good amount of air trapped in your hydraulic system though.
I bet you're right.

I tried the method that the service manual recommends which is jack up the front axle and cut the wheel back and forth 8-10 times without hitting the limits. Still just a sluggish response from the steering and nothing from the loader and 3-point.

/ Mahindra 4530 Which Trans Fluid, How to Check Level and Hyd Pump Problems? #4  
I bet you're right.

I tried the method that the service manual recommends which is jack up the front axle and cut the wheel back and forth 8-10 times without hitting the limits. Still just a sluggish response from the steering and nothing from the loader and 3-point.
Have you made any progress?

Have you made any progress?

Thanks for askin!

I finally found some time to mess with it today. Without the tractor running the trans fluid level was just above the low mark. I jacked up the front end and started the tractor and cut the front wheel back and forth 8-10 times. This time I got a little bit better response. Still no response from the 3-point or loader.

I decided to check the fluid level with the tractor running. When I pulled the dipstick it burped out some air and fluid, but I was afraid to let out too much fluid. I unscrewed the transmission breather just to be sure that it wasn't clogged up or something.

After letting out some fluid I got a slight response out of the 3-point. Nothing out of the loader.

I wonder if the trans fluid level is supposed to be checked with it running and I am just over full and that is not allowing the hydraulics to work. Funny thing is that all the time I have owned it I have always checked the fluid level with the tractor off and the hydraulics worked fine. I wonder if that has something to do with the 80w fluid that was in it before or if the system just has a lot of air in it still.

I think I am going to have to call Mahindra or someone to find the real answer because the manuals are not very helpful.

I think I am going to have to call Mahindra or someone to find the real answer because the manuals are not very helpful.
Finally got in contact with the local Mahindra service department. The service manager recommends checking the trans fluid level while the tractor is running.

Haven't had a chance to see if this fixes my problem, but I should be able to work on it tomorrow. I'll update this thread then.

Just wanted to put that info out there in case someone was wondering.

/ Mahindra 4530 Which Trans Fluid, How to Check Level and Hyd Pump Problems? #7  
Sounds like a big air bubble & maybe a loss of prime at the pump.

/ Mahindra 4530 Which Trans Fluid, How to Check Level and Hyd Pump Problems? #8  
We have 5010 hst cab Mahindra, I have xx the hyd oil a few times, I always pour some hyd fluid in the filter before I screw it back on. (messy)
I then let it idle for 10 full minutes before I mess with the steering or 3 point, it always works after that.
I let the machine push the air out in the 10 minutes of idle.

I should be able to work on it tomorrow.
Finally got a break in the weather and a chance to work on the tractor. Dropped the trans fluid level down to in between the marks on the dipstick while running at idle. Let the tractor idle for 10 minutes as suggested above. Jacked up the front end and turned the wheels back and forth a lot. The manual recommends 8-10 times. I bet I did it 30 or 40 times. Still nothing but a lazy flop back and forth with the front tires. Nothing from the 3-point and loader.

Im at a loss. Could the hydraulic pump be weak and I never noticed it with the 80 weight oil that was in it earlier, but this thinner hytrans fluid made it show up?

Last edited:
I always pour some hyd fluid in the filter before I screw it back on.
I did the same when I changed the fliter.

Thanks for the suggestions though.