Mahindra 4035pst value, and is this enough tractor for me?

/ Mahindra 4035pst value, and is this enough tractor for me? #1  

LADPT

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240 GST & Mahindra 4530
Background: Family has 3 40-60 acre properties ranging from 2-4 acre bahaia fields, pine timber, hardwood bottoms, food plots, 2 acre orchard, summer/fall gardening, gravel roads and mowed trails. Dad has a Mahindra 4530 4wd w/fel and Farmall planting/cultivating tractor, 6ft bush-hog and disc, box blade, small cultivator. These are rotated around to cut fields/trails, maintain roads and plant but primarily reside 20 minutes away at his place. The result is that many tasks get postponed bc equipment is somewhere else. The other 2 properties are my house and across the highway. I need a tractor to maintain my 1,000ft gravel driveway, cut trails, clean underbrush, maintain a developing orchard, landscaping, and hobby farm (corn, squash, watermelons, food plots, etc).

Local (5-10 mins away) dealers include Mahindra and JD. Most others are available within a 45-90min drive. I’d love a Mahindra 5145 but can’t swing it right now. Need to stay in the $20k range if at all possible.

Neighbor just put his 4035PST up for sale. Asking $20k and includes a Lowery LM60 5ft rototiller (doesn’t cover the tires 🤨). 2013, 381hrs, ML130 loader.

Is that a fair price? Seems a bit high looking at auctions the past year. More importantly, is that enough tractor?

I much prefer the CUT size and style to the larger 4530 I’m use to operating. I’m thinking in the back of my mind I could always sell it and go bigger if needed. But the 115cu displacement is much smaller than the 146cu of the 4530 or the 166cu of the 40 and 45 series. Is this a real concern? Anything else I should consider or look for on this particular tractor?

Thanks for having me here. I’ve been reading and researching here for several years and getting more ready to purchase everyday. Though I’m willing to keep waiting for the right tractor and deal.

/ Mahindra 4035pst value, and is this enough tractor for me? #2  

Mahindra 4035 Dimensions​

Dimensions
Length:123.9 inches
314 cm
Width:73.7 inches
187 cm
Operating weight:4367 lbs
1980 kg (gear)
4817 lbs
2184 kg (hydro)

Mahindra 4530 Dimensions​

Dimensions
Length:134 inches
340 cm
Width:72.5 inches
184 cm
Weight:5567 lbs
2525 kg

Tractor capability is more closely correlated to tractor weight than any other single (1) specification.

Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%.

In real-life "field" conditions the ~700 pound difference between these two Mahindra models will be barely discernible.

Neighbor just put his 4035PST up for sale. Asking $20k and includes a Lowery LM60 5ft rototiller (doesn’t cover the tires 🤨). 2013, ===381hrs===, ML130 loader.

Is that a fair price?

381 / 9 = 42 engine hours per year. Very low hours for nine years. Very light use.

If inside stored, rather than stored outside, looks to me like a very good offering.

I’d love a Mahindra 5145 but can’t swing it right now.
If purchased from a dealer I presume you would pay 7% (?) Louisiana sales tax.

Last edited:
   / Mahindra 4035pst value, and is this enough tractor for me?
It was lightly used on a horse farm, mostly to move shavings, manure and work the riding arena per the owner.

It’s fairly pink, so I’m assuming not fully “indoors” though maybe had a roof over it.

Yes, would have to pay sales tax on new. Local dealer can order one. All he said was “over $30k”.

I’m not opposed to hitting the road to pick up a used tractor.

/ Mahindra 4035pst value, and is this enough tractor for me? #4  
I recommend starting with the nearby $20,000 net, net (including Loader) 4035PST. You are much more likely to get "good" information from a nearby seller who knows he will see you after the sale, in the community.

Family has three, 40-60 acre properties.
Ask the seller if you can take the 4035 to your nearest property for a one day evaluation, returning before 5:00 PM. Return the tractor with the fuel tank full.

I’m not opposed to hitting the road to pick up a used tractor.
Local (5-10 mins away) dealers include Mahindra and JD.

I would only consider Mahindra and Deere tractors.
Transporting a tractor for service is expensive and inconvenient, whether you trailer it or the dealer trailers it.

Brand? Models to look at or avoid? Buy new or used?

The design of the Three Point Hitch tractor has been marketed in the USA since 1939 -- 83 years in 2022.

The basic Three Point Hitch tractor design is generic.

Kubota and Deere have most of the market through 6,000 pound bare weight tractors. But this Kubota/Deere predominance is regional.

We have the following brands within an hour of us.
  • Kubota
  • LS
  • TYM
  • KIOTI
  • Massey Ferguson
  • John Deere
I know that a lot depends on the dealer and their willingness to help, but should I stay away from any of these brands?

Start with the nearest dealer and work out.

Transporting a tractor for service is expensive and inconvenient, whether you trailer it or the dealer trailers it.

CREDIT: 'FELIXEDO'

"It has been touched on a couple of times, but not directly as a buying factor.

Every major make has a machine that will do the job(s) you want. Check out your nearby dealers, and go with one you have confidence in.

A great machine with no support nearby is a hassle to repair and maintain.

And a good machine can't make a lousy dealer into a good dealer."

Last edited:
This was the only thing I noticed on both sides. I’ll watch the video again to review. Thanks

Attachments

• B2F14AFC-153B-4E6C-BD57-8A806D63C03B.jpeg
    B2F14AFC-153B-4E6C-BD57-8A806D63C03B.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 121
   / Mahindra 4035pst value, and is this enough tractor for me? #6  
What are you showing the readership in Post #5 ? ? ?

I’d love a Mahindra 5145.

Operating weight = 5,390 pounds

Tractor capability is more closely correlated to tractor weight than any other single (1) specification.

Is it the shiny, new paint? ? ?

Last edited:
What are you showing the readership in Post #5 ?
I guess the dry-rotted missing rubber isn’t a big deal. Admittedly I have a lot to learn.
Is it the shiny, new paint? ? ?
Lol yes, and warranty, but mostly HP. That’s my primary worry with this 4035. Will it turn a 6ft bushhog in thick bahaia? Probably similarly to the 4530 I guess. I’m confident a 10hp increase would be more evident though.

/ Mahindra 4035pst value, and is this enough tractor for me? #8  
I guess the dry-rotted missing rubber isn’t a big deal.
I am clueless. What part of the tractor or implement is in the photo?

That’s my primary worry with this 4035. Will it turn a 6ft bushhog in thick bahaia?

Very marginal. You will be cutting a 48" to 60" swathe fairly often in thick Bahia. To cut a full 60" swathe at the time I would want 50 engine horsepower / 40 PTO horsepower.

Mahindra 4035 Power
Engine:40 hp
29.8 kW
PTO (claimed):33 hp
24.6 kW (gear)
31.5 hp
23.5 kW (hydro)

I’d love a Mahindra 5145. Better but still marginal.

5145 4WD
Engine HP 45 @ 2300
PTO HP ******************************38 @ 2300

Last edited:
   / Mahindra 4035pst value, and is this enough tractor for me? #10  
I have this exact same tractor, Mahindra 4035 PST (2015), and use it frequently. I do all of what you are wanting to do with the tractor, and it has never let me down. I've brush hogged grass that was taller than me, but I did have to drop down a gear, to Low 3. I use it to clear snow in the winter on a 600 ft driveway, something you won't run into. As to the torn boots on the front steering, mine are the same way, I intend to replace them with a CV joint repair kit that you can buy online. Overall its been a very good tractor, that has dragged trees much larger than I would have imagined.