Logging winch and why I bought Igland - Norse 4501

/ Logging winch and why I bought Igland - Norse 4501 #21  
As long as I'm here....watched a video of some Euro loggers using larger tractor and winch. They were working in some very nice spruce. I noticed the cable end was just a loop, and the sliders on that winch had grab hooks. Seemed very efficient-just get that loop end under and around, and set it in the slider hook.

Seemed faster than what I do anyway!

/ Logging winch and why I bought Igland - Norse 4501 #22  
Now quick question for all you winch owners....do you lube the chain, and if so, how? My skimpy Norse manual says to do, but somewhere I've seen mention that one must be very careful not to get oil on the clutch pads/face. Any views on this? I mostly using mine in winter, so no real hope of everything staying dry, cable itself, etc.
I lube mine frequently but I consider myself a high use user.
Any high quality penetrating oil will work but I use used hydraulic oil. Its what my grandpa used, my pop used and so I think good enough for me to use.
Wire rope when breaks is a sight to see and normally does from corrosion from inside out.

/ Logging winch and why I bought Igland - Norse 4501 #23  
Hi MapleLeafFarmer. Are you talking lubing the cable, or the drive chain?

As far as the drive chain, I saw one reference to it needing to be done like a motorcycle chain, soaked in oil and hung up to dry. I'd have difficulty doing that on any kind of regular basis. That's the main one I'm wondering about, but now you mention it, I ask others too how they lube their cables as well. Thnx

/ Logging winch and why I bought Igland - Norse 4501 #24  
As long as I'm here....watched a video of some Euro loggers using larger tractor and winch. They were working in some very nice spruce. I noticed the cable end was just a loop, and the sliders on that winch had grab hooks. Seemed very efficient-just get that loop end under and around, and set it in the slider hook.

Seemed faster than what I do anyway!
for sure it is fast. Easiest way to push under a grounded fallen tree.

This is the type of knob and bantom I use on mine. pushes under a log easily and hooks firmly in seconds
1676321772893.png

I also have 2 keyhole sliders so I can pull 3 logs at a time from almost 200' away

1676321921406.png

and these are hands down my fav. chokers for the keyhole sliders. The metal rod on the end makes feeding under a downed tree easy.
1676321840757.png

/ Logging winch and why I bought Igland - Norse 4501 #25  
Hi MapleLeafFarmer. Are you talking lubing the cable, or the drive chain?

As far as the drive chain, I saw one reference to it needing to be done like a motorcycle chain, soaked in oil and hung up to dry. I'd have difficulty doing that on any kind of regular basis. That's the main one I'm wondering about, but now you mention it, I ask others too how they lube their cables as well. Thnx
yes I do both.
penatrating oil on the cable (used hydro oil) as they corrode from inside out. maybe 2x per year or more.
on drive chains I use any new heavy gear oil I have lying around. I put it in a plastic pop bottle with a sports cap on it and when chain spinning I drizzle on the pin links and rollers. I make it good a wet. Every week / 40 hours of use or so. I do same with drive chains on my snow blowers. If dry to the touch (I use the snot rag test) it needs TLC. They don't spin as fast as motorcycle chains etc.... so too lazy to remove and soak.
Probably not ideal but 3 generations of my family has done it this way and not let us down yet.

/ Logging winch and why I bought Igland - Norse 4501 #26  
I got a Tajfun EGV45A last summer and I LOVE it. I bought it because a dealer closet to me had them available. The others like Wallenstein or Norse simply wasn't any in stock close to me, and frankly my Tajfun seem to be feature rich for the money. Such a great tool in the woods together with a grapple up front.

/ Logging winch and why I bought Igland - Norse 4501 #27  
Farmi specifically says not to lubricate the chain.

Attachments

• 3C682AF1-E139-4111-A007-0E741AE3C8A0.png
    3C682AF1-E139-4111-A007-0E741AE3C8A0.png
    526.8 KB · Views: 74
   / Logging winch and why I bought Igland - Norse 4501 #28  
Farmi specifically says not to lubricate the chain.
good catch!!... seems Farmi wants grease not oil to lube the chain....devils always in the details and why owners manuals and WSM are important.

My Wallenstein says oil every 50 hours.

1676340030501.png

Last edited:
   / Logging winch and why I bought Igland - Norse 4501 #29  
I don't have my Norse manual with me but I'll see what it says regarding chain lube. I like my winch a lot, but the Norwegian/Lithuanian manual is extremely skimpy on words🤔.