lincoln welder can't turn knob

/ lincoln welder can't turn knob #11  
I have an old Lincoln tombstone welder which overheated and the switch not only stuck, but it broke.

I fixed it by pulling it apart, drilling through the broken parts, driving a long steel screw and some epoxy through it, and then carefully sanding down the epoxy until it was the original part dimension, and then I lightly sanded down the 'clicker-clutch' on the front which reduced the total pressure required to turn the switch.

It is easier to turn now, but I realize that it would have been better to have used a high temp epoxy...

I just do not have any, and did not have time to wait for any.

Should it overheat in the future, I will use high temp glass filled epoxy and some high temp fiberglass builder's rod and make a copy of the original part, since you can not purchase said original part by its self, but instead have to purchase the entire switch assembly which is more than I paid for the welder AND a HELL of a lot of work because you have to carefully disconnect the old one, lead by lead and reconnect it, which needs special crimping and uncrimping tools. [pausing to breathe]

Once you know what you are doing, its not super difficult, just a little bit of a wait while the epoxy cures.

IF you get to the problem BEFORE the part melts enough to STICK internally, you could possibly put some pipe Teflon around the area as a heat shield and prevent part failure. That is what I would have done if I had known what the problem was sooner.

I made a sloppy 2 part video of the repair, if people want to see how it is done, just post a response here and I will upload them and post them so you can see it in action.

/ lincoln welder can't turn knob #12  
I had one of those tombstone welders with a problem with the amp selector switch so may not be the same as yours, but it was fixable. I took it apart and found some of the nylon and swelled enough so that it wouldn't let the contactor slide up and down on the nylon shaft. A little sanding removed enough to free up the mechanism. Then i cleaned up the contact points and used some contact clean/lubricant on it. Eventually i gave the welder to my nephew and it's still going strong.

It was my father's, bought in early 70's if my memory is correct.

/ lincoln welder can't turn knob
Wow, one of my old threads resurrected.

Our welder switch still doesn’t turn, but hasn’t been used in years.

/ lincoln welder can't turn knob #14  
My old Lincoln is old,45 yrs or more. Not a pro but thick metal and a handful of 7018s worked for me. LOL