LEVEL INDICATOR FOR TILT CYLINDER ON TNT

/ LEVEL INDICATOR FOR TILT CYLINDER ON TNT #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
100_3480.JPG100_3479.JPG100_3474.JPG

I used a throttle/choke control cable to come up with this level indicator which is mounted at eye level on the ROPS. The indicator housing was drilled and milled out of a 3/4" square 6061 aluminum and has a 1/2" OD plastic hose inside to house the slider. A long piece of 1/4" ID clear plastic hose is slid over the cable to keep moisture out with the end extending up into the indicator housing. Probably should make a scale to attach next to the indicator window with an adjustable "level" indicator. The leveling cylinder is smaller than most at 1 1/2" bore x 4" stroke but seems plenty adequate given the 3PT lift capacity.

/ LEVEL INDICATOR FOR TILT CYLINDER ON TNT #2  
Very cool.

I worked on something like this for mine last Winter but gave up. I used an indicator rod, like a level bucket indicator, mounted on the cylinder. Then I realized it only knows level in regards to the tractor. So kinda let it go. It's still on the cylinder but I never look at it.

I still see a great need for something like this if you are wanting to change the pitch of a grade or driveway. For example if your driveway is too flat, you can add a few degrees of tilt to your blade or box blade or grader by watching the indicator and repeat passes until the desired result is reached. :)

/ LEVEL INDICATOR FOR TILT CYLINDER ON TNT #3  
...hen I realized it only knows level in regards to the tractor. So kinda let it go. It's still on the cylinder but I never look at it.

I still see a great need for something like this if you are wanting to change the pitch of a grade or driveway. For example if your driveway is too flat, you can add a few degrees of tilt to your blade or box blade or grader by watching the indicator and repeat passes until the desired result is reached. :)

An electronic remote reading inclinometer should do it. They are getting fairly cheap these days. I had considered installing a dual axis one to display both top and tilt angles relative to earth. Not necessarily this particular item, but one with similar functionality...

RAS-2-10 - Dual axis inclinometer with remote display, ±10°

another...

http://www.kar-tech.com/inclinometer.html

(An inclinometer would make a great bucket level indicator as well. If you had a transducer on the tractor frame as well you could calculate relative angle by subtraction in addition to absolute measure.)

/ LEVEL INDICATOR FOR TILT CYLINDER ON TNT
I should mention that the main reason for adding this indicator is that I can't see the leveling cylinder from the tractor seat.

/ LEVEL INDICATOR FOR TILT CYLINDER ON TNT #5  
Wish I could think of the TBN Member's name. But there's this guy that is a whiz at stuff like this. Built an electric bucket level indicator with flashing lights. Has a camera mounted on his FEL as well to see the cutting edge of the bucket. He talked some about the inclinometer philosophy too.

I think if a person was doing a LOT of landscape grading or road building it would a valued addition!!! For my uses, it was more of a gimmick that I thought would be cool.

My main reason for building this was to enable quick re-leveling after running the blade tilted. Would normally re-level by bringing the blade or other attachment down near a flat surface then leveling with the tilt cylinder. The level indicator allows this to be done on the go which is much faster. The indicator levels to the tractor which I prefer over leveling to gravity. Incidentally, the last picture above appears to show interference between the cylinder shaft and the ROPS. That is an optical illusion.

/ LEVEL INDICATOR FOR TILT CYLINDER ON TNT #7  
Yep, that was my original goal as well. I think you can also use yours to determine amount of cut if trying to change the grade of a roadbed or whatever.

/ LEVEL INDICATOR FOR TILT CYLINDER ON TNT #8  
Wish I could think of the TBN Member's name. But there's this guy that is a whiz at stuff like this. Built an electric bucket level indicator with flashing lights. Has a camera mounted on his FEL as well to see the cutting edge of the bucket. He talked some about the inclinometer philosophy too.

I think if a person was doing a LOT of landscape grading or road building it would a valued addition!!! For my uses, it was more of a gimmick that I thought would be cool.

Your thinking of Waxman.

I'm surprised that no one asked how the indicator is attached to the ROPS.

/ LEVEL INDICATOR FOR TILT CYLINDER ON TNT #10  
Very clever :thumbsup: