Large square bales: how well do they store left outside for months

/ Large square bales: how well do they store left outside for months #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Not all that bad! These bales sat outside, uncovered for 2 months. All of June & July, which were both hot & rainy.

1660301974346.jpeg

These bales above were unloaded and opened. I have been noticing lately how well they store, even outdoors, when they are baled tightly, under a lot of pressure. It’s difficult for rain to penetrate.

1660302149944.jpeg

Even the edges, most subject to rain damage show very little deterioration.

1660302203688.jpeg

None of this hay was designated to be feed hay, yet there was no dust, no mold and the green color was largely preserved.

1660301821908.jpeg

I have already sold several loads stored this way to customers with no complaints whatsoever.

/ Large square bales: how well do they store left outside for months #2  
There is a field down south of me. I have no idea what happened but there are round bales scattered around the field. They have been there five plus years. They have turned black. I see that somebody is gathering them up and burning them. I would guess they are infested with mold and whatever and aren't even any value as mulch.

/ Large square bales: how well do they store left outside for months #3  
Not all that bad! These bales sat outside, uncovered for 2 months. All of June & July, which were both hot & rainy.

None of this hay was designated to be feed hay, yet there was no dust, no mold and the green color was largely preserved.

I have already sold several loads stored this way to customers with no complaints whatsoever.
Cattlemen would buy baled tumble weed in Texas right now if they could find any. Saw an ad from SW Ok last week for thin range cows $300 per head.

/ Large square bales: how well do they store left outside for months #4  
If not feed hay what was intended use?

/ Large square bales: how well do they store left outside for months #5  
Out in the open is how most ranches in Nevada store all their big bales, seems to work fine. That white forklift looking piece of equipment is called a "squeeze" and it is used to load the bales on wagons or trucks. Instead of forklift forks there are two arms on the mast that are hydraulically "squeezed" together when grabbing a bale to pick it up and load it.
P1013641ertbn8-12-22.jpg

/ Large square bales: how well do they store left outside for months #6  
Out in the open is how most ranches in Nevada store all their big bales, seems to work fine. That white forklift looking piece of equipment is called a "squeeze" and it is used to load the bales on wagons or trucks. Instead of forklift forks there are two arms on the mast that are hydraulically "squeezed" together when grabbing a bale to pick it up and load it.
View attachment 758129
You can buy bale grabbers for your tractor, too.

Nice picture. I do miss the mountains sometimes.

/ Large square bales: how well do they store left outside for months
We get a lot of rain here, so they get spoiled faster.
I sold a bunch and the buyer was not concerned.

1660346032970.jpeg

We typically only use squeezes here for wrapped bales, so we don’t puncture the wrapping.
Thing about a squeeze is you cant grasp or ungrasp the bales without space between them, so we just use bale spears on unwrapped hay.

1660346328145.jpeg

/ Large square bales: how well do they store left outside for months #8  
Wyoming isn't known for their hay but very seldom do we see large square bales here. Mostly rounds.

/ Large square bales: how well do they store left outside for months #9  
Pic of the field we pulled off of this year, one of the large square bale piles in the distance.

PXL_20220727_182528425.MP.jpg

/ Large square bales: how well do they store left outside for months #10  
I'd hate to see lightning hit that pile of hay. I divide my round bales into several separated sections in case of fire or lightning strike. Hopefully keeps all of it from being destroyed.