Rotary Cutter Land Pride vs Woods

/ Land Pride vs Woods #1  

jtheise4

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1643 & Allis-Chalmers D14
I just purchased a MF1643 and now I'm looking for a rotary cutter. Any thoughts on which is better? A Land Pride or Woods? I'm looking at a single spindle 60" cutter. Any thoughts on sheer pins vs slip clutches? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

/ Land Pride vs Woods #2  
I like the way the deck is reinforced on my Land Pride RCR1860 60" a little better than the Woods. I wouldn't say one would cut any better than the other. I think a 60" Land Pride is a bit higher priced than the 60" Woods. I have shear bolts on all my PTO equipment and have never had a problem but I think most on this forum will recommend slip clutches.

/ Land Pride vs Woods #3  
I currently use a Woods RM990 quite a bit, but I'd have to say that my 13 year old 72" Land Pride seems heavier built. I'm aware that the RM990 is a 'hybrid' of sorts between a finish mower and rotary cutter and has 3 spindles, but it's the only current Woods product I have to compare with a Land Pride product. Of course, Land Pride may have lowered their quality a tad bit since I bought my last item from them. I don't know.

As mentioned, you can keep the stinking shear bolts. They are nothing but the least expensive partial solution to a problem that one can get. I've spent my last hour out in the field trying to get the broken part of a stinking shear bolt out of a yoke and trying to get it lined up to replace. I can now say that I own exactly nothing with a shear bolt. I'm sorry, but after all the years of aggravation, if I can't afford better than that, I can't afford the implement. ;)

/ Land Pride vs Woods #4  
3 years working my Woods BB60 with clutched PTO in a variety of tasks and no problems at all. It's a 60", about 550 pounds. I make sure I loosen, slip, & readjust the PTO clutch every Spring before it goes to work for the first time. It's been a real workhorse, rough cutting about 3 acres of field in various states of neglect and in reclaiming the edges of the fields, which have become overgrown with secondary growth over the past 15 - 20 years. Finding junk (stumps, rocks, etc) hiding under the vines & prickers is fairly common and I'm glad I paid for the slip clutch. Can't imagine having to stop & diddle with the shear pin when my seat time is so limited between my day job and the weather.

-Jim

/ Land Pride vs Woods #5  
I have a landpride rcr 1860 w/slip clutch, its built for the long haul!

/ Land Pride vs Woods #6  
I have a Land Pride 60" cutter that has served me well for several years, so I can recommend them.
Woods builds great implements as well...so it's kind of a coin flip as to which manufacturer is better.

/ Land Pride vs Woods #7  
I currently have a Woods 72" Finish mower and it is built real tough, works just great and have preformed flawlessly. Had a Bush-hog and it also worked very well with no issues. I also had a John Deere 72" Stump Jumper for years and never had a issue.I also own Land Pride BB's and they are built tough. I guess what I'm trying to say is; You can not go wrong with the above major brands. They all have been around for quite sometime and that's saying something, people buy them because they are proven attachments. You can't go wrong with either of them, choice is yours as what to buy.
DevilDog

/ Land Pride vs Woods #8  
When I looked at Land Pride and Woods (both of which I own several products of) they each had several duty grades. A general statement as to which one is better is impossible to answer. They both make good products and some light duty ones.

Andy

/ Land Pride vs Woods #9  
When im shopping for ground engaging implements, it usually comes down to woods & landpride. I like landprides rakes and cutters, however woods core aerators are far superior. Both make good reliable implements.

/ Land Pride vs Woods #10  
Andy is right about the grades.
I have a woods mediem duty Heritage model cutter that seems to be extreamly tough.