Land Plane with rear door/panel (like box blade)

/ Land Plane with rear door/panel (like box blade) #1  

LADPT

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240 GST & Mahindra 4530
A local Facebook marketplace add has land plane graders with a flip up/down rear door (panel) I’m assuming to make it able to pull and carry material like a box blade.

Anyone used one?

/ Land Plane with rear door/panel (like box blade) #2  
It has it's place. Gordon Gould built a unit himself and added a rear panel. See the thread here.
Post #45 I think is where it is first shown.

I have made up all the parts to add one for my larger LPGS, but have not had the time to install it. 😞

/ Land Plane with rear door/panel (like box blade)
I just dug out 2 acres of pines and getting ready to clean up the roots and level it up to plant an orchard.

I’ve wanted a land plane for my 1500ft gravel drive and know it will do well for leveling. Being able to move some dirt would help. I have a 6ft box on hand too.

Will be the first real pulling test for my new-to-me L4240. Tires are filled.

The land plane they’re selling looks heavy. I’ll call for weight. I have access to one to borrow, but the back is open.

/ Land Plane with rear door/panel (like box blade) #4  
A local Facebook marketplace add has land plane graders with a flip up/down rear door (panel) I’m assuming to make it able to pull and carry material like a box blade.

Anyone used one?
Is this home made or somebody selling them?

/ Land Plane with rear door/panel (like box blade) #6  
I made mine with a tail gate as an experiment. It hinges on top and there are a set of stop pins on the bottom rear of the side plates. If I hang the tail gate behind the pins it acts as a drag going forward. Does very little.

P1200234.JPG

P1200240.JPG

But it is heavy enough to hold sod and let the dirt pass under it.

SodRemoval2.JPG

So if I am cutting a road edge and the box fills with sod I can lengthen the top link a little to stop cutting new gravel and let the gravel run out then lift the grader to leave a pile of sod. I can then back into the pile to push it off the road. The tail gate acts as a push blade.

P1100964.JPG

If I swing the tail gate up and forward so it hangs in front of the pins it will collect gravel in the box and move it along the road until it drops into a low spot. I control when it cuts with the hydraulic top link - sort of like a box blade but not as aggressive. It works good for evening out fresh bucket spread loose gravel which is humpy. In this picture I am trying to remove a slight crown. I want the road with a flat pitch so it drains left to right. The crown is not easily removed by a land plane alone but you can see the tail gate catches the material in the middle and feathers it out.

P1200246.JPG

The way this one works I would not call a box blade replacement at all but I find it useful while maintaining roads. If I was going to cut a new road I would not get very far with it. That is a job for my box blade.

My blade is 5' wide and weighs 650 lbs. It could be heavier and I wouldn't want it any lighter.

gg

Last edited:
   / Land Plane with rear door/panel (like box blade)
Thanks @Gordon Gould that looks exactly like what I’m seeing here.

Looks like the tailgate is helpful.

I need to try a box blade and land plane to see what works best for me.

/ Land Plane with rear door/panel (like box blade) #8  
I have an 8 foot Land Pride - LPGS. It has scarifiers. When I use it on my mile long gravel driveway - looks like the picture Gordon has posted. 2nd picture down. I don't think a rear tailgate would be of much help to me. I DO have a ROBB if I need to move dirt. I can roll the ROBB over to scarifiers only.

Besides - because of the side skids on the LPGS - it won't really dig down like the ROBB will. However - if I set the scarifiers to full depth - might be a different story.

I have never set the scarifiers so deep on the LPGS that the two blades couldn't level/smooth it out like a pool table.

I only use the "heavy implements" in areas of potholes, riffles, wash out. I've never drug the entire length of my driveway. No need to - its set up hard as concrete.

/ Land Plane with rear door/panel (like box blade) #9  
I find the "box blade" mode very useful on down pour washouts where water has jumped out of the ditch because it got dammed up with leaves or over whelmed and cut long troughs down the road leaving ridges and small piles of loose gravel down the road. But if it is too bad I use a rear blade to fix it.

Our biggest road problem here is mud season. The frost goes down 3 or 4 feet some winters 5 feet. It takes a while to come out. When the top thaws in spring the frost below prevents drainage and the road surfaces becomes saturated and can be soft no matter how hard it was packed previously. The whole world is like jelly or plastic. Wheel ruts and center humps and other road surface movement is impossible to prevent.

EndOfWinter.JPG

gg

Last edited:
   / Land Plane with rear door/panel (like box blade) #10  
A 5' LPGSwill stall out my tractor (L4060) traction wise if it loads up. A 40 series Grand L would be about the same. A tailgate could be handy at times I expect. But it would likely be to much on a 6' or wider LPGS. 72" track but only 60" impliment sucks at times. But not enough to warrant upgrading & I got a good deal on the LandPride 60" LPGS.