L285 and other 3 digit Kubota repairs

/ L285 and other 3 digit Kubota repairs #1  

paulsharvey

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST
I have what I think is a 1976, L285, that I've had for roughly 11 years. The guy I bought it from would buy up the "non running" line at a large local equipment auction, and get them running and resell. Do, needless to say, there's a lot of less then professional repairs. I recently replaced the steer box, and it the process of removing the fuel tank, I guess some of the wiring laid on the exhaust, and grounded out, smoking wires. This tractor for electronics, has Key On, Push button start, glow plugs, and alternator, that's it. Anyone recommend a basic wiring 101 video for very simple 12v systems?

Also, the hydralic system and transmission had water in it at one time; and it seems like their is a nasty emulsified film on the inside; that even when drained and refilled finds a way to the metal hydraulic filter, and blocks the screen up, really limiting flow. Is there a good way to clean that out?

BTW; I knew it was rough when I bought it for $1400 years ago (cashed in wire scrap to pay for it); and I mowed with it for probably 8 years, and done some minor block blade work, spread millings, ect with a too big 6 ft frontier box blade (paid $150 for), and used a homemade 1 bottom plow some in the garden.
20230219_141100.jpg
20230219_141103.jpg
20230219_141109.jpg

/ L285 and other 3 digit Kubota repairs
I should add, I dont need to wire up lights, ect, just reliably start, run, and not catch on fire, would be a great first step.

/ L285 and other 3 digit Kubota repairs #3  
There is a website that several have linked to already. the website is something close to this rough memory of mine: www.kubotabooks.com ?

in it they have in PDF format (all that i saw) of manuals and service manuals for many of the older tractors. I found one but not both manuals for mine, its an L2250F just didnt find the factory service manual.

as i recall the wiring in these old diesels tractors will likely be near identical from one to the other of the same year windows.

So with that, I'd open a couple and see if the wiring diagrams are the same or very similar.

2nd suggestion is for you to wrap your brain around "wiring 101", i'm a gearheaded geek, okay? I have done alot of personal wiring modifications on all sorts of things. Old subaru's, Honda CB900C motorcycle, f350, Chevy 3/4 ton from 1978 wih a 400/400 and setup a dual electrical system for the plow and everything else off from a battery isolator too.

so heres a suggestion for you to try on a sheet of clean paper.

scale is not the issue, the issue is you understanding what you are looking at.
at the top of the page in the middle but the battery
at the bottom of the page put the starter
at one side put the alternator
at the other side put the ignition switch, light switch(if you want), volt gauge(or amp)

draw (with a pencil) really lightly on the paper so it easier to erase as you go, what the route different wires need to go from what you read in the manual.

this will help you *SEE* the diagram with less confusion and mystery... I hope... mind you this is just the start to basic understanding okay. there are many other methods to teach folks this idea so they can develop the mental framework to grasp this stuff.

/ L285 and other 3 digit Kubota repairs
Thanks. I'm checking out the link now. I understand normal, 120/240v wiring, and that's not complicated, but when your staring at 3 dozen wires, and fuse boxes, ect, all for a total of 3 working systems, it gets a bit overwhelming. Plus the guy before me cut, bypassed, rerouted, and just plain bare twist connected so much stuff, a lot of things, your not sure if it has a purpose, or is left over.