Kubota skid steer rear bumper/ rear protection

/ Kubota skid steer rear bumper/ rear protection #1  

Lineman North Florida

Veteran Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 360 DTC with FEL & John Deere 5093E with FEL ,Kubota SVL 75-2
So we have started a rear protective bumper for my Kubota 75-2 skid steer, here are a couple of photos of the beginning stages , I will try to post more as we progress.
20220723_141757.jpg
20220723_141808.jpg

/ Kubota skid steer rear bumper/ rear protection #2  
I’d add a more durable screen over the radiator while you’re at it. That’s the weakest link IMO.

/ Kubota skid steer rear bumper/ rear protection
I’d add a more durable screen over the radiator while you’re at it. That’s the weakest link IMO.
Do you think expanded metal on the outside of the bumper would do it? Or have you got something else in mind? I would like to protect it as best as I can while I am doing this. Thanks.

/ Kubota skid steer rear bumper/ rear protection #4  
Do you think expanded metal on the outside of the bumper would do it? Or have you got something else in mind? I would like to protect it as best as I can while I am doing this. Thanks.

A dinky expanded metal like a trailer ramp wouldn’t be my first pick but a good heavy wire like this that I built my dump truck window guard with would be ample protection. Do you plan on adding a winch in the bumper?
IMG_2058.JPG

/ Kubota skid steer rear bumper/ rear protection #5  
Do you still have a glass window in your machine?

/ Kubota skid steer rear bumper/ rear protection #6  
What do you think about keeping the rear bumper flush with the sides of the Kubota? And maybe having the vertical member on the side positioned flush to the horizontal frame so the bumper doesn't hook brush or other obstacles?

/ Kubota skid steer rear bumper/ rear protection #7  
What do you think about keeping the rear bumper flush with the sides of the Kubota? And maybe having the vertical member on the side positioned flush to the horizontal frame so the bumper doesn't hook brush or other obstacles?

The tracks stick out about 6” more than the body at that point so I don’t see it being a big downside. I might add some wedges on the end of the tubing to help anything it does hit slide off vs getting stuck on the square edge.

/ Kubota skid steer rear bumper/ rear protection #8  
The tracks stick out about 6” more than the body at that point so I don’t see it being a big downside. I might add some wedges on the end of the tubing to help anything it does hit slide off vs getting stuck on the square edge.
I'd suggest modifying the hooks you created to prevent anything from accidentally hooking on. It's called an "accident" for a reason.

There is a reason why car door handles are now smooth and rounded or flush with the surface other than aerodynamics. Too many people were injured or killed over the years and it ends up getting written into laws.

Exerpt from a Canadian Motor Vehicle Act
"Every bumper, door, mudguard, fender, hood or other body component including every device thereon shall be securely attached to a vehicle, and not worn, torn, damaged or protruding to an extent likely to cause injury."

At least in Canada lawsuits for negligence have limits to payouts.

Last edited:
   / Kubota skid steer rear bumper/ rear protection #9  
I"am guessing yours came with a back up camera . Seen where some of the older models that was an option and guys added them on themselves .

/ Kubota skid steer rear bumper/ rear protection #10  
This is a tough one, you have airflow concerns so a solid panel is out. Then the little pencil sized stick that's perfectly oriented to make it through whatever opening that you've left for airflow....takes out your first cooler. 😫
I like the screener cloth that 4570 posted over typical expanded metal but have considered more of a "louvered" approach out of some beefy steel that point up and back based on my estimate that said future pencil sized stick looking to cost you money and time is about 2'-3' above ground.
Mikester is right calling it an accident and to prepare for every possible circumstance for damage just isn't going to happen. 👍