Kubota skid steer rear bumper/ rear protection

/ Kubota skid steer rear bumper/ rear protection #11  
Never having looked at the underside of a skid loader, what is on the underside of the engine compartment on this Kubota? How is the bumper going to be attached? How will you access the engine for service?

/ Kubota skid steer rear bumper/ rear protection
A dinky expanded metal like a trailer ramp wouldn’t be my first pick but a good heavy wire like this that I built my dump truck window guard with would be ample protection. Do you plan on adding a winch in the bumper? View attachment 755550
I will look and see what I can come up with, I am not adding a winch I thought I would add a piece of Reese hitch type receiver tube so it would leave me options to have a hitch to pull out with or I could use a winch bracket that goes in the receiver hitch.

Do you still have a glass window in your machine?
I do, I looked at forestry rated lexan glass replacements and got sticker shock, but it is on my list at some point.

I"am guessing yours came with a back up camera . Seen where some of the older models that was an option and guys added them on themselves .
Yeah if you look real close in the first picture you can see it mounted up top directly between the two rear lights.

Never having looked at the underside of a skid loader, what is on the underside of the engine compartment on this Kubota? How is the bumper going to be attached? How will you access the engine for service?
Keep in mind this is a rough draft first fit type of thing that the pictures show, nothing is welded except the top and bottom rails, the end piece you see with the round rod thru it will be cut down to fit on both sides, as far as accessing the engine , one side will just be pinned with a rod that I unpin and the other side will be the hinged side so once I pull the pin on the drivers side the whole bumper will rotate around to the passenger side just like the rear door on the machine does. As far as attaching it to the machine we are going to use some heavy 4" angle that we will drill and tap with fine threads for 3 bolts on the side and 3 bolts on the back for a total of 6 bolts on each side , the hinge and pin side will be welded to that piece of heavy angle.

/ Kubota skid steer rear bumper/ rear protection #16  

This is my Komatsu machine but the Kubota looks pretty much the same. His door has hinges on the right side to swing out of the way. The factory rear door also swings out.

Attachments

• IMG_2316.JPG
    IMG_2316.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
   / Kubota skid steer rear bumper/ rear protection #17  
Keep in mind this is a rough draft first fit type of thing that the pictures show, nothing is welded except the top and bottom rails, the end piece you see with the round rod thru it will be cut down to fit on both sides, as far as accessing the engine , one side will just be pinned with a rod that I unpin and the other side will be the hinged side so once I pull the pin on the drivers side the whole bumper will rotate around to the passenger side just like the rear door on the machine does. As far as attaching it to the machine we are going to use some heavy 4" angle that we will drill and tap with fine threads for 3 bolts on the side and 3 bolts on the back for a total of 6 bolts on each side , the hinge and pin side will be welded to that piece of heavy angle.

Thank you. I'd be interested in seeing how you end up attaching the bumper to your Kubota.

Is that a heavy brush cutter mounted to the front? Is brush clearing your primary use for this machine?

I roughly understand the use of lexan windshields, but don't they get scratched up? I could see adding some expanded metal as a safety shield to the front if using a cutter that throws debris.

Last edited:
Thank you. I'd be interested in seeing how you end up attaching the bumper to your Kubota.

Is that a heavy brush cutter mounted to the front? Is brush clearing your primary use for this machine?

I roughly understand the use of lexan windshields, but don't they get scratched up? I could see adding some expanded metal as a safety shield to the front if using a cutter that throws debris.
I will try to take more photos as we go along, the brush cutter weighs about 1700lbs according to the manufacturer and I will probably do mostly brush cutting but I also have a bucket and a grapple so I will play it by ear and see what type of work becomes available. I know very little about the Lexan forestry doors other than everyone says that they are a must if you are using a mulching head which I am not, I have about 25 hours on mine so far and my mower is an open front and has an angled shield on the back to help with flying debris coming back at the machine, keeping the mower angled with the front up a little and down below the height of the door has worked well for me so far, but it does throw a lot of debris out the front.

/ Kubota skid steer rear bumper/ rear protection #19  
I have five I can get into when I want. Three have mulcher and bush hogs. Have been in severe thickets with each. Never needed a bumper. Not mine, but I use a lot.

I have five I can get into when I want. Three have mulcher and bush hogs. Have been in severe thickets with each. Never needed a bumper. Not mine, but I use a lot.
You must be rolling in the dough to have five of them, I probably am just gonna be owning this one, also I might not be as good an operator as you are so I figured I better fix me some protection for this one just in case.