/ Kubota GR2000 & GR2100 Rear Axle Failures
My 2000 model year John Deere 4100 had somewhere around 1250 hours, and other than replacing hydraulic cylinder seals and rebuilding the front axle gearcase seals, it has needed nothing.
I wish I could get to 1200 hours. Our farm tractors go to 7,000 or more. 300 hours is ridiculous for a repair more than half the purchase price.

17 years may sound impressive, but is pretty meaningless - it actually lasted only 326 hour of use!

My 1976 John Deere 300 has the original hydro transmission & rear axle (no need to repair those whatsoever) and 850 hours on the clock since I installed hour-meter over 25 years ago.
No-one knows how many total hours, but my guess is at least 1500 hours.

just saying
No question a good unit should last 5000, 7500 hours. That's what we would get on our John Deere tractors. 300 hours and a repair equal to 2/3rds of the purchase price is rediculous.

Any good auto or truck mechanic should have no problem rebuilding it. You need to buy a shop manual for that tractor, to provide to whomever does the work. If you are mechanically inclined, that should not be out of the realm of you doing it, perhaps with a friend.

Buy a shop manual, which should show every detail of the entire assembly including parts breakdown with part numbers.
Ordered a shop manual and that may be the route. However 300 hours and a repair that is 2/3rds the purchase price is rediculous, especially when Kubota needed to redesign the axle/transmission assembly to solve the problem.

Any good auto or truck mechanic should have no problem rebuilding it. You need to buy a shop manual for that tractor, to provide to whomever does the work. If you are mechanically inclined, that should not be out of the realm of you doing it, perhaps with a friend.

Buy a shop manual, which should show every detail of the entire assembly including parts breakdown with part numbers.
Got a sop manual and what a mess to remove, disassemble the hydraulics pump and related hardware, separate the split half axle assembly. There is some guidance on how the Glide Steer clutching is supposed to function - cables, levers and clutches. I can see why the Messick Dealership would much rather replace with generation 2.

That's what happened to me. Bought it brand new in 2007 (GR2100)and by time I made last payment the rear end was grinding badly. It was just outside of warranty also. I think it was around 400+ hours. Sold it for $1600 or $1700 with it grinding. Guy was gonna fix it himself....
What a disaster for you. 400 hours! Here I am at 330 hours. In my opinion Kubota is ducking a bad design issue. I contacted Customer Service and got a form letter claiming out of warranty. Wrote a letter to the CEO and so far no reply. If that goes no where, I will go public with this Kubota model as "junk". Last Kubota I will buy at this rate.

It sure seems that Kubota knew there was a design flaw in the original design. And that they stuck owners of this model with a big repair bill knowing the design was flawed. Other manufacturers have pulled this stunt too. Based on Kubota's reputation one would think they would have handled this better.
Big disappointment - My 5-31-22 letter to Kubota USA got a form letter rejection for out of warranty based on years (no acknowledgement on 330 hours). My 6-13-22 letter to the CEO has yet to be replied to.

It sure seems that Kubota knew there was a design flaw in the original design. And that they stuck owners of this model with a big repair bill knowing the design was flawed. Other manufacturers have pulled this stunt too. Based on Kubota's reputation one would think they would have handled this better.
This is feeling much like a coverup for faulty design. Two of us on this thread have had the Glide Steer rear axle/transmission failures at 400 and 300 hours respectively.

/ Kubota GR2000 & GR2100 Rear Axle Failures #18  
This is feeling much like a coverup for faulty design. Two of us on this thread have had the Glide Steer rear axle/transmission failures at 400 and 300 hours respectively.
Yes they should have recalled all the early models. But they didn't. Have you done anything yet?

Hello locknut. thanks for asking - Status is:

1) Limping along with the 3WD/2-FrontWD currently, and that is ugly on slopes.
2) Bought the shop manual with the intent of repairing, but then I spoke with a second dealer who advised me to NOT waste my $ on repairing the first generation.
3) Second dealer said not only could the failure re-occur, but there was a second major flaw in the design. He believes the splines are sheared off on he left axle.
4) No response from the CEO Kubota USA or his designee
5) I plan a certified/return receipt mailing to CEO again
6) Choices are spend $4,000 + labor for the re-design, or send it down the road and buy a John Deere

Its a very disappointing response from what I had believed to be a reputable and quality provider

/ Kubota GR2000 & GR2100 Rear Axle Failures #20  
I still have the old unit in the shed and it works fine except for a vibration. You're welcome to it for free.