/ Kubota GR2000 & GR2100 Rear Axle Failures #1  

Centre Ridge Farm

Tractor
GR2100
Our farm has 4 Kubota tractors and the smallest, this GR2100 Diesel 4WD, was purchased new in 2005 for $8200 at Messick Farm Supply. At only 326 Hours the rear axle assembly has failed, making it a front wheel drive only. The dealer diagnosed the failure.

Rather then repair an inferior design, a completely new rear axle assembly is recommended by the Kubota dealer, because there was a redesign for a shortcoming in the first generation.

Let's see...the new axle assembly installed is quoted by the dealer at near $5,000 - for a tractor with only 326 hours. So I inquired about trading it in for a new Kubota, and that results in a trade-in credit of $6,000 (once the $5,000 is invested), a $1,000 present value parts tractor for a Kubota with 326 hours. I loaded the unit onto my trailer and departed for other options.

A writing to Kubota Customer Satisfaction in Grapevine, TX with all documentation, resulted in an "out of warranty" form letter. If my options remains as is, unloading the defective tractor for parts and buying a new "non-Kubota" seems like the only responsible option. I suspect there may be rebuilders of the original axle, but who wants to rebuild a faulty design.

I'm open for suggestions!
IMG_5232.JPG
IMG_5234.JPG
IMG_5235.JPG

Last edited:
   / Kubota GR2000 & GR2100 Rear Axle Failures #2  
You mention the cost to replace the entire assembly, but what about just repairing it? Maybe that cost is relatively cheap. It's lasted 17 years, so a simple repair (vs entire replacement) might be the answer.

/ Kubota GR2000 & GR2100 Rear Axle Failures
You mention the cost to replace the entire assembly, but what about just repairing it? Maybe that cost is relatively cheap. It's lasted 17 years, so a simple repair (vs entire replacement) might be the answer.
Appreciate the suggestion. I'm finding this 1st generation problem has been around and on this site before: Kubota GR2100 Transmission issues

The dealer had already mentioned its very expensive to get into with the removal, disassembly, parts replacement and rebuild in hopes all will be okay, I hate to throw money toward a substandard design that had to be re-designed by the factory.

This problem is common enough, I am wondering if there are independent rebuilders who might tackle it in my area (Harrisburg/Lancaster).

/ Kubota GR2000 & GR2100 Rear Axle Failures #4  
Any good auto or truck mechanic should have no problem rebuilding it. You need to buy a shop manual for that tractor, to provide to whomever does the work. If you are mechanically inclined, that should not be out of the realm of you doing it, perhaps with a friend.

Buy a shop manual, which should show every detail of the entire assembly including parts breakdown with part numbers.

/ Kubota GR2000 & GR2100 Rear Axle Failures #5  
That's what happened to me. Bought it brand new in 2007 (GR2100)and by time I made last payment the rear end was grinding badly. It was just outside of warranty also. I think it was around 400+ hours. Sold it for $1600 or $1700 with it grinding. Guy was gonna fix it himself....

/ Kubota GR2000 & GR2100 Rear Axle Failures #6  
Appreciate the suggestion. I'm finding this 1st generation problem has been around and on this site before: Kubota GR2100 Transmission issues

The dealer had already mentioned its very expensive to get into with the removal, disassembly, parts replacement and rebuild in hopes all will be okay, I hate to throw money toward a substandard design that had to be re-designed by the factory.

This problem is common enough, I am wondering if there are independent rebuilders who might tackle it in my area (Harrisburg/Lancaster).
Do not mess with the old tranny. Haggle with your dealer to replace it with a new one or find another dealer for a quote. I replaced one recently for 3800 installed. 3200 for the unit and 600 labor. This is your least expensive option.

/ Kubota GR2000 & GR2100 Rear Axle Failures #7  
Our farm has 4 Kubota tractors and the smallest, this GR2100 Diesel 4WD, was purchased new in 2005 for $8200 at Messick Farm Supply. At only 326 Hours the rear axle assembly has failed, making it a front wheel drive only. The dealer diagnosed the failure.

Rather then repair an inferior design, a completely new rear axle assembly is recommended by the Kubota dealer, because there was a redesign for a shortcoming in the first generation.

Let's see...the new axle assembly installed is quoted by the dealer at near $5,000 - for a tractor with only 326 hours. So I inquired about trading it in for a new Kubota, and that results in a trade-in credit of $6,000 (once the $5,000 is invested), a $1,000 present value parts tractor for a Kubota with 326 hours. I loaded the unit onto my trailer and departed for other options.

A writing to Kubota Customer Satisfaction in Grapevine, TX with all documentation, resulted in an "out of warranty" form letter. If my options remains as is, unloading the defective tractor for parts and buying a new "non-Kubota" seems like the only responsible option. I suspect there may be rebuilders of the original axle, but who wants to rebuild a faulty design.

I'm open for suggestions!

17 years may sound impressive, but is pretty meaningless - it actually lasted only 326 hour of use!

My 1976 John Deere 300 has the original hydro transmission & rear axle (no need to repair those whatsoever) and 850 hours on the clock since I installed hour-meter over 25 years ago.
No-one knows how many total hours, but my guess is at least 1500 hours.

just saying

/ Kubota GR2000 & GR2100 Rear Axle Failures #8  
It sure seems that Kubota knew there was a design flaw in the original design. And that they stuck owners of this model with a big repair bill knowing the design was flawed. Other manufacturers have pulled this stunt too. Based on Kubota's reputation one would think they would have handled this better.

/ Kubota GR2000 & GR2100 Rear Axle Failures #9  
My 2000 model year John Deere 4100 had somewhere around 1250 hours, and other than replacing hydraulic cylinder seals and rebuilding the front axle gearcase seals, it has needed nothing.

/ Kubota GR2000 & GR2100 Rear Axle Failures
It sure seems that Kubota knew there was a design flaw in the original design. And that they stuck owners of this model with a big repair bill knowing the design was flawed. Other manufacturers have pulled this stunt too. Based on Kubota's reputation one would think they would have handled this better.
That is exactly what is bugging me. When a design has to be re-engineered, that tells me a bad design to start. So far, no help what so ever. 300 hours is nothing on a unit that should go 7,000 hours.