Kubota F series or Deere 1550?

/ Kubota F series or Deere 1550? #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
Looking to buy one of these soon for mowing steep banks. Both ok or? Looking at a 25hp diesel and great reliability and traction. Thanks

/ Kubota F series or Deere 1550? #2  
I have a JD F-935 2wd diesel (same architecture as your candidates). Came with a 72" side discharge deck. Recently acquired a 76" rear discharge deck for it. For steep slopes, you really need 4wd IMHO. With the rear discharge deck, the Commercial 76 uses a LOT less fuel, can cut faster, and chomps down high grass & weeds with no complaints. 72" deck chokes on the same field conditions because of the outlet side. Plus no more windrows. I recommend the widest deck you can get to save time and fuel.
Not too crazy about mowing steep banks because it will slide when used sideways if that's the intended purpose.

Attachments

• 20210929_154946.jpg
    20210929_154946.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 73
   / Kubota F series or Deere 1550?
I have a JD F-935 2wd diesel (same architecture as your candidates). Came with a 72" side discharge deck. Recently acquired a 76" rear discharge deck for it. For steep slopes, you really need 4wd IMHO. With the rear discharge deck, the Commercial 76 uses a LOT less fuel, can cut faster, and chomps down high grass & weeds with no complaints. 72" deck chokes on the same field conditions because of the outlet side. Plus no more windrows. I recommend the widest deck you can get to save time and fuel.
Not too crazy about mowing steep banks because it will slide when used sideways if that's the intended purpose.

That offset deck is definitely not ideal for hill sides. The offset weight makes it difficult on side slopes. I did see that Deere now offers a dual rear wheel setup on the 1550 mower. I may go check one out to see how it compares to the Kubota F series.

/ Kubota F series or Deere 1550?
I may try to find a used one of either just to see how I like it. Just need to be able to find one at a decent price now. Lol