Kubota 36HP 4 cyl oil plug falls out

/ Kubota 36HP 4 cyl oil plug falls out #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Second time this has happened on my F-3680. At the back of the 36HP 4 cylinder Kubota diesel is a small plastic plug. Looks like a dip stick hole plugged with a small cap.
The cap will randomly pop out of the hole and cause a big mess. That may be the least of your worries. Unnoticed, it could result in complete engine destruction.
Mine has popped this small plug twice. Both times, no smell because theres not enough heat in that area to make a burned oil smell. The cap is held in place with ridges which don’t hold all that well.

Check for this cap and keep a spare handy. At a whopping $2.95 it could be the difference between mowing and being down until part arrives. I lost 2 quarts before I knew anything was wrong. Oil light did NOT come on, either.

Last edited:
   / Kubota 36HP 4 cyl oil plug falls out #2  
uhmmm. I have (2) 3 cylinder Kubotas and (1) 4 cylinder engine.
I'll take a look at mine for something similar. That would tick me off.
Glad you didn't destroy the engine!
Maybe weld it closed?

/ Kubota 36HP 4 cyl oil plug falls out
I don’t know if all Kubota have them, or just the F-3680 model. Pretty sure that engine gets used in several models..

/ Kubota 36HP 4 cyl oil plug falls out #4  
Any chance you could replace the plastic plug, with a tapered metal plug, that would stay put ? Do you or the dealer know why a plastic plug was used, instead of a metal one ?

/ Kubota 36HP 4 cyl oil plug falls out #5  
That sucks. Maybe use a sealer on the plug like permatex?

/ Kubota 36HP 4 cyl oil plug falls out #7  
How about one of those rubber expandable plugs - they come in many sizes and tapered too.

Looking at the pic could put a L or some angled bracket on the bolt to the left to put pressure on the plug and hold t in?

/ Kubota 36HP 4 cyl oil plug falls out
Be nice if Kubota would do it instead of us.

/ Kubota 36HP 4 cyl oil plug falls out #9  
Hay Dude, I have same machine.... any chance you have PN and/or part list ID number so I can identify on my engine?

/ Kubota 36HP 4 cyl oil plug falls out #10  
Figure issue may been due to crankcase breather valve on valve cover plugged or defective thus allowing high internal pressure to build up.