Kohler vs Kawasaki fuel consumption

/ Kohler vs Kawasaki fuel consumption #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
For the last 10 years I have had a Scag wildcat, 61" deck, and Kohler command pro 27 (27hp). Mower is about 15 years old.

Dad has a nearly identical zero turn. Bobcat flavor, zt223 model. 61" cut, 23hp Kawasaki, also about 15 years old.

I mow about 4-1/2 acres. Takes me exactly 2 hours to mow. I use just a tad over 4 gallons of fuel. My mower has a 5 gal tank on right, and 4 gallon on left. I cannot mow it ALL starting on the left tank. I have to switch and go another 10-15 min. So....as I said, a tad over 4 gallons.

Today I mowed with dads mower because he has a bagger and want the clippings for the garden. Bagger slows things down, but I also mowed his 3-ish acres too. He has dual 5 gallon tanks that I filled before I started. Took me 5-1/2 hours to mow his AND mine. Only idling down for the few minutes it takes to empty the bagger when needed. I mowed for 5 hours straight before I had to switch tanks.

So.....my Kohler 27hp....guzzles a little over 2 gallons an hour. While his 23hp Kawasaki sips right at a gallon per hour. Sure wouldnt think the slight (and un-noticable) difference in HP would make that big of a difference

So, what mowers/engines do you all have, and how are they on fuel in terms of gal/hr?

Both are carb btw, no fancy fuel injection like modern stuff

/ Kohler vs Kawasaki fuel consumption #2  
2013 Hustler Super Z zero turn mower.
72" deck, 35 HP Kawasaki FX1000 carbureted. Uses close to 2 gallon per hour.

/ Kohler vs Kawasaki fuel consumption #3  
My Toro groundsmaster has a Kawi 25hp with two tanks, the two tanks go down evenly, it sips fuel compared to any Kohler or BS I have ever had..

/ Kohler vs Kawasaki fuel consumption
My Toro groundsmaster has a Kawi 25hp with two tanks, the two tanks go down evenly, it sips fuel compared to any Kohler or BS I have ever had..

Ever get a ballpark gph on your usage?

/ Kohler vs Kawasaki fuel consumption #5  
2 gph, OUCH. That makes me appreciate my Kubota diesel more. My previous 25 hp Kohler burned around 1 gph. My diesel mower burns 1/2 gph or maybe a tad more but it’s doing more work than the gasser.

Last edited:
   / Kohler vs Kawasaki fuel consumption #6  
My 2001 model year Power Trac PT425 has a Kohler Command 25hp engine in it. I almost always run it full out at 3600rpm. I consistently use just over 1 gallon per hour, so I'm gonna say 1.2 gallons per hour to keep it honest. ;)

The motor turns 3 hydraulic pumps that power 4 wheel motors and any implements, like my 60" finish mower and 48" brush cutter. I get about the same fuel usage regardless of running those powered attachments or just using a bucket on the FEL.

/ Kohler vs Kawasaki fuel consumption
I am asking because it makes me wonder if something is wrong it if it's just the way Kohler is. Runs good, not like it's running rich or anything. Good mower, just thirsty as all get out

/ Kohler vs Kawasaki fuel consumption #9  
I think there’s something wrong. I’ve never heard of fuel usage that high in that hp class. And my 25 hp kohler burns about half that much.

/ Kohler vs Kawasaki fuel consumption #10  
My Grasshopper, 25 hp Kubota diesel, 61" deck burns very close to 1/2 gallon an hour, depending on how tall the grass is.

IF, I mowed the grass more often, it would use even less fuel, but that never seems to happen...

BTW, EVERY Kohler motor I have ever owned, was thirsty!

SR