just purchased a Shibaura SD1840 might need Fuel injection timing?

/ just purchased a Shibaura SD1840 might need Fuel injection timing? #1  

Temblor

Tractor
Kubota B7100 Shibaura SD1840 (Ford 1500)
I just purchased a SD1840 with an Allied backhoe & loader attached and I was given a Ford 1500 manual with it.. the owner told me it was the same tractor. I have not had a chance to research this yet..

My engine runs but not properly. The previous owner said tractor would not start and he noticed the water separator was half filled with water, so he thought that the fuel pump might be contaminated with water (and rusted).. so he installed a rebuilt Fuel pump ($900) had the Head resurfaced, a couple new valves, 2 injectors, When finished with the work the tractor started, but it runs bad.
He said it did not have power to operate attachments.
He thinks that the reason it is running poorly now is that the Fuel injection timing could be off?
Any ideas?
I am going to tinker with it on trailer for a couple weeks.. then bring it to a mechanic if I can not figure it out.
Anyone have any ideas on remedy?

Thanks
IMAG5639.jpgIMAG5642.jpgIMAG5683.jpg

/ just purchased a Shibaura SD1840 might need Fuel injection timing?
I just purchased a SD1840 with an Allied backhoe & loader attached and I was given a Ford 1500 manual with it.. the owner told me it was the same tractor. I have not had a chance to research this yet..

My engine runs but not properly. The previous owner said tractor would not start and he noticed the water separator was half filled with water, so he thought that the fuel pump might be contaminated with water (and rusted).. so he installed a rebuilt Fuel pump ($900) had the Head resurfaced, a couple new valves, 2 injectors, When finished with the work the tractor started, but it runs bad.
He said it did not have power to operate attachments.
He thinks that the reason it is running poorly now is that the Fuel injection timing could be off?
Any ideas?
I am going to tinker with it on trailer for a couple weeks.. then bring it to a mechanic if I can not figure it out.
Anyone have any ideas on remedy?

Thanks
View attachment 461656View attachment 461657View attachment 461658

Update.. the tractor starts after cranking on it 60-90 seconds (blue smoke from exhaust as cranking)
BUT it will only run for about a minute or two then it slowly dies! (Also some blue smoke while running. Checked engine compression at glow plugs, have 350lbs & 340 lbs)
If I let it sit a few minutes it will start again only to slowly die again.
I have replaced fuel lines, I have bypassed tank and Fuel filter ran fuel directly from jar of diesel and still the same results.
Have talked to a lot of fuel injection rebuild shops..
I am going to hook up a cheap 5-9 LB fuel injection pump directly to injection pump inline and see what results. The theory is; if it runs fine.. then it is a pump problem..
If it dies after a minute or two, then it is a different problem.
I should get the fuel pump in a few days.. in the mean time I am going to take spring and valve piston from the delivery valve holder turn engine to top dead center and on the timing mark and see if fuel gravity flows from pump holder.
trying to determine easiest way of finding top dead center?

I am wondering if this pump was actually rebuilt as I contacted the supplier and it turns out they are a salvage yard,, and they send the pumps out to get tested or rebuilt.
Well for $700 I do not see how a middle man could make money and have pump rebuilt properly? It may just be a used pump?
I also wonder if it was the correct pump as the numbers on pump are different from the original?
Here is a pic of two pumps in case anyone has knowledge or could find out if these pumps are identical? In other words maybe the new pump is the wrong one?
Problem is if I bring tractor to shop and have them pull pump it will cost at least $700-$800 just to diagnose, get pump off, and then have tested to see it if it is pumping proper volumes, then reinstall if it is ok.
But NO test will reveal if pump is sucking air or not, just volumes.
I also do not see any fuel coming through return hose (from injector to fule pump)? maybe this is because pump could be faulty?
The pump itself does not have a return line, just at the fuel injectors)
The other thing is I do not know if previous owner put correct head gasket on or installed the correct fuel injectors?
So still hoping this could be a simple problem? rather than the expensive pump route..

IMAG6303.jpgIMAG6306(1).jpg
(The 2nd picture which has clear writing and red logo is the original pump which was replaced.. which could actually still be good? the pump with the worn metal no red paint is the replacement from Tractor salvage yard)
So I guess my questions are:
#1 what is easiest method of finding top dead center on this tractor? So I can check if timing is set correctly?
#2 Does anyone have access to info on these pumps to find out if they are indeed the same?
Thanks

/ just purchased a Shibaura SD1840 might need Fuel injection timing? #3  
I assume you bled the fuel system correctly.

/ just purchased a Shibaura SD1840 might need Fuel injection timing? #4  
I assume you bled the fuel system correctly.
Why I love this forum. Experience a problem; you can almost count on someone who has experienced similar issues and have the insight that benefits the rest of us. Forgot that one myself. Ran my Shibaura out of fuel once; couldn't figure it out until I read someone's post on how to remedy the situation. Had to bleed the system in a set sequence. After that, no issues starting. Runs great.