John Deere 5045E Likes/Dislikes Reviews

/ John Deere 5045E Likes/Dislikes Reviews #1  

Briar Hill Brittanys

Gold Member
Tractor
1966 John Deere 1020/37 Loader
I'm thinking about pulling the plug on a new 5045E, 2 wheel drive. Let me hear the good the bad, should've done, problems, wish I would've got, etc. Why would you, or would you not get one. My 66 1020 has been a trusty steed, but recently developed liner leaks in 2 cylinders. Thanks in advance.

/ John Deere 5045E Likes/Dislikes Reviews #2  
Why would you: not get 4WD?

/ John Deere 5045E Likes/Dislikes Reviews #3  
I wouldn't buy any new or used tractor without 4WD and EPTO.

/ John Deere 5045E Likes/Dislikes Reviews #4  
Just reading the specs out of curiosity, that 5045E sounds like a real nice tractor.
Anyway, I hope we hear more from owners. A farly large engine making low HP, a cat II 3pt, and a gear transmission with syncros and a shuttle shift is a throwback to a simpler era.
I'd like to hear they work as good it reads from the specs.

I'd probably go for 4wd. I've got it on a similar size tractor and use mine about as often as I use the differential lock - and for about the same reasons. It helps for getting unstruck with the loader & sometimes in rough spots.

Used that way it won't ever wear or break. Of course it does cost a bit more and they tend to put lugged ag tires on 4wd fronts even though a smoother front tire would be nicer about 99% of the time. A guy might be able to get them to change that.

rScotty

/ John Deere 5045E Likes/Dislikes Reviews #5  
Seems like the JS tractors below 75 HP have tiny tires. My neighbor got a 5075 about the same time I got my M4 and it was almost comical in size difference of tires. I kind of poked around the JD lot and it seemed true for most of the smaller tractors. Which is odd because they usually weigh more and that’s sort of a selling point for JD.

/ John Deere 5045E Likes/Dislikes Reviews #6  
Seems like the JS tractors below 75 HP have tiny tires. My neighbor got a 5075 about the same time I got my M4 and it was almost comical in size difference of tires. I kind of poked around the JD lot and it seemed true for most of the smaller tractors. Which is odd because they usually weigh more and that’s sort of a selling point for JD.

Most older tractors had much narrower tires with relatively high lugs compared to modern tractors. I think they were less concerned with compaction and more concerned with ground engagement for traction. 4wd allows the use of wider tires with smaller lugs & less compaction.

/ John Deere 5045E Likes/Dislikes Reviews #7  
Ditto on the 4WD.

/ John Deere 5045E Likes/Dislikes Reviews
I hear what you're saying about the 4WD. Just hard for me to justify the $10,000.00 difference. Granted, I stuck the 1020 a couple of times by getting on a down slope and trying to pick up a bucket load of wood or rock. Never stuck so bad I couldn't dump the bucket and reverse out.

/ John Deere 5045E Likes/Dislikes Reviews #9  
I hear what you're saying about the 4WD. Just hard for me to justify the $10,000.00 difference. Granted, I stuck the 1020 a couple of times by getting on a down slope and trying to pick up a bucket load of wood or rock. Never stuck so bad I couldn't dump the bucket and reverse out.

Well, I'm not selling anything - just wanted you to consider it. You asked what we would change. That's what we would change and did.

We used 2wd on the JD530 for many years....decades, now. It's a similar tractor to the 1020.

A lot of what 4wd gives you isn't what you think. Getting unstuck when the nose is down is one you know about, pushing into a pile without spinning the rears is another.

Here's another: We have lots of hills. Have you ever had a runaway downhill with a load in the bucket and unthinkingly touched the brakes? Going downhill with a load in the bucket is a LOT more controllable with 4wd because then the front wheels have brakes.

We have a creek and it needs work along the banks sometimes. With 4wd I can get the bucket right down to the water and know I can simply put it in reverse and 4wd to get back out.

And we no longer have to mount chains in the wintertime for the uphill part of the driveway. That's easier on me and on the tractor.

But any of these jobs can be done in 2wd. We did them all in 2wd for years.

The other thing I would always put on a new tractor is at least one set of remote hydraulic outlets i.e. one pressure and one return connection. One forward and one on the back would be the next step up. but just having the one pair would still work on either end with longer hoses.
rScotty

/ John Deere 5045E Likes/Dislikes Reviews #10  
We have a 5045e but it’s 4wd, use it for everything from hay raking to garden tiller, about 2200 hours on it now , only issue we have ever had was the cold start sensor went bad 2 years ago, $200 fix and it’s been perfect every since.
pretty good small tractor