John Deere 4100 FWD not working

/ John Deere 4100 FWD not working #1  

olenjohn

Bronze Member
John Deere 4100 hydrostatic drive. FWD not working. When I acquired the tractor there was a clicking noise in the front hub - right side - as I was unloading it but it stopped clicking within a couple minutes of driving. Previous owner thought there was a broken gear in that drive unit and had started to dismantle it but stopped at just removing the wheel. He said the same clicking issue was on the left side but he had that repaired at a mechanics shop. I have used the tractor as is, but would like to get the front drive to work. Tractor had been slightly neglected before I got it.

Attachments

• 95FA418D-EE3B-4F25-8FBE-C42098ABDE7E.jpeg
    95FA418D-EE3B-4F25-8FBE-C42098ABDE7E.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
   / John Deere 4100 FWD not working #2  
John Deere 4100 hydrostatic drive. FWD not working. When I acquired the tractor there was a clicking noise in the front hub - right side - as I was unloading it but it stopped clicking within a couple minutes of driving. Previous owner thought there was a broken gear in that drive unit and had started to dismantle it but stopped at just removing the wheel. He said the same clicking issue was on the left side but he had that repaired at a mechanics shop. I have used the tractor as is, but would like to get the front drive to work. Tractor had been slightly neglected before I got it.

I’d honestly start by pulling the left hub/spindle apart to see what the clicking noise is. Hopefully it’s just a matter of replacing bearings / seals but it’s hard to say without getting into it. Overall the 4100’s are solid tractors, I have 4500 hrs on mine and it’s still going strong.

IMG_9763.JPG

/ John Deere 4100 FWD not working #3  
I agree. Start opening it up and take us along for the ride. Will likely get a lot of help from others who have already gone that route and know how to help you along.