John Deere 2640 Wont Start and Lights wont turn on

/ John Deere 2640 Wont Start and Lights wont turn on #1  

stormz1969

Tractor
John Deere 2640
I was snowblowing the driveway when all the lights on the tractor got real dim and the alternator light came on. After I shut off the tractor it wouldn't restart. I brought the batteries in and they tested as bad batteries. After I replaced them it still wouldn't start. I put a screwdriver over the solenoid points and it started right up. I think there is still a bigger problem than just the solenoid because none of the lights work on the tractor still. Anyone know what would have caused all of this to happen at the same time? Thanks!

Mike

/ John Deere 2640 Wont Start and Lights wont turn on #2  
Sounds like a blown fuse.. being as the lights dimmed first.

:welcome: to TBN

/ John Deere 2640 Wont Start and Lights wont turn on #3  
:welcome:to TBN
I'd recommend to relocate negative bat cable if it's still attached to bat compartment to engine block or starter mounting bolt. It's possible the neutral start switch which is under cover that gear shift levers protrude through isn't making good contact. Sometimes one can remove switch then remove one of the sealing washers and reinstall switch and it will make better contact.I couldn't locate a fuse or circuit breaker in 2640 parts catalog so light problem should be loose wire connection or faulty light switch.

/ John Deere 2640 Wont Start and Lights wont turn on #4  
:welcome:to TBN
I'd recommend to relocate negative bat cable if it's still attached to bat compartment to engine block or starter mounting bolt. It's possible the neutral start switch which is under cover that gear shift levers protrude through isn't making good contact. Sometimes one can remove switch then remove one of the sealing washers and reinstall switch and it will make better contact.I couldn't locate a fuse or circuit breaker in 2640 parts catalog so light problem should be loose wire connection or faulty light switch.

They DO have a circuit breaker. Search part number AR28403 or search for "main electrical harness"

Key 2 in first drawing serial number 340,999 and lower. Key 7 in second drawing serial number 341,000 and higher

If not the circuit breaker, check the ignition switch, then the light switch. My guess is ignition switch failed.

Attachments

• 2640harnesscbkey2.gif
    2640harnesscbkey2.gif
    24.1 KB · Views: 2,393
  • 2640cb.gif
    2640cb.gif
    34.8 KB · Views: 819
   / John Deere 2640 Wont Start and Lights wont turn on #5  
Thanks I thought they had one but I quickly looked in alpha index under circuit breaker and didn't find it.

/ John Deere 2640 Wont Start and Lights wont turn on #6  
Thanks I thought they had one but I quickly looked in alpha index under circuit breaker and didn't find it.

It was under B for breaker. JD parts can be hard to navigate

/ John Deere 2640 Wont Start and Lights wont turn on #7  
Zebrafive;4352211 JD parts can be hard to navigate[/QUOTE said:
Having spent several yrs selling new JD parts I'm aware of that. What really challenging for me is looking up parts for JD tractors built for European sales

/ John Deere 2640 Wont Start and Lights wont turn on
I see that I never responded.. it was the circuit breaker that went bad. Thanks for the help!