John Deere 1050 Hydraulic 3 Pt Hitch Locks Up or Down.

/ John Deere 1050 Hydraulic 3 Pt Hitch Locks Up or Down. #1  

Dan370

Tractor
John Deere 1050 (1987)
John Deere 1050 Hydraulic 3 Pt Hitch hangs up or down. This tractor has no attachments yet or no power steering. The 3 Pt Hitch will go either way after it is sitting (not running) and will go up or down, then lock up again. My initial rookie mistake (lower Alabama old codger) was when I put paper towel in the hydraulic lines to avoid moisture contamination and forgetting about it!!!

I hired a local tractor repair guy to replace the pump with a USED (???, HMM? $1800) one from a tractor junk yard. It worked for a very short time. He had me to change the fluids & clean the filter 4 or 5 times when it started messing up. It set up for a month with the 3 pt hitch up. I changed the hydraulic oil again & cleaned a gummy filter with a small paper residue in it still and the fluid was heavily water contained. I have turned open the Rockshaft, adjusted the Rockshaft speed of draft lever, and moved the control lever up & down numerous times. It works up or down but hangs up immediately. After sitting awhile then locks up or down again. I have changed out the filter twice. The first one had paper in it. The second time it seemed ok. I plan to change it one more time and will get back to you with an update.

Some how, I don't think its the used pump gone bad, but who knows? If I replace it, I will get it rebuilt with some 2 year warranty and not another used one. My big idea of retooling this old tractor has gone bad. The clutch & throw out bearing beat me up, LOL! Didn't mind repainting it so far. I have already mounted the front end loader brackets and had big dreams about building a shop with it. Looks like a forever project.

Please, Help me (Begging!!!) with your solutions to get the hydraulics back working. I'm an old 69 year old semiretired dreamer and still love my old tractor!
IMG_20211204_090939615.jpg
IMG_20211204_090939615.jpg
IMG_20211204_091008755.jpg
IMG_20211204_090952967.jpg

/ John Deere 1050 Hydraulic 3 Pt Hitch Locks Up or Down. #2  
What a beautiful YANMAR painted in JD green paint. (aka Yanmar YM4300)

Chances are, you'll need to do a hydraulic flush and clean the 're-useable' filter. :)

Do note, IF you can not re-use the fluid, ONLY use J20C spec'ed hydraulic fluid in your Yanmar period. J20C is the Hygard brand or the Yanmar TF500A.

TF500A=J20C_.jpg

Do you have the Service Manual? If not PM message me. :)

AND, since your machine is related to my machine, here's the hydraulic system flush procedure.

Using any other non-J20C hydraulic fluid will GUNK up. Like CASE, Ford, CNH, etc.
It would gunk up using JD303 really bad too. JD303 has been banned in several states.
And JD303 has several class action lawsuits against 3rd party manufactures too. DO NOT USE JD303 ever!

These machines can sit outside for 40 years and usually fire right up.

/ John Deere 1050 Hydraulic 3 Pt Hitch Locks Up or Down.
What a beautiful YANMAR painted in JD green paint. (aka Yanmar YM4300)

Chances are, you'll need to do a hydraulic flush and clean the 're-useable' filter. :)

Do note, IF you can not re-use the fluid, ONLY use J20C spec'ed hydraulic fluid in your Yanmar period. J20C is the Hygard brand or the Yanmar TF500A.

View attachment 723502

Do you have the Service Manual? If not PM message me. :)

AND, since your machine is related to my machine, here's the hydraulic system flush procedure.

Yes this JD 1050 was built in Japan Using any other non-J20C hydraulic fluid will GUNK up. Like CASE, Ford, CNH, etc.
It would gunk up using JD303 really bad too. JD303 has been banned in several states.
And JD303 has several class action lawsuits against 3rd party manufactures too. DO NOT USE JD303 ever!

These machines can sit outside for 40 years and usually fire right up.
Yes, this old 1987 JD 1050 is nothing but a Yanmar 4300 but I think it is better built than the new tractors. The problem is it is 35 years old with about 3900 hours on it. I have been flushing it with JD20A fluid and plan to use Hy guard once I get it back operational. I have changed it out 5 or 6 times and I also cleaned the screen every time. The fluid looks much better. I am screening it in plast jars! I have replaced the oil filter twice, but it is a possibility that it has stopped up again! I appreciate your offer of the service manual. I do have a operator, service, and parts manuals for this tractor & they have been super helpful.

I appreciate your feed back. I will let you know when I replace the oil filter. This afternoon is booked LOL. Alabama is playing Georgia this afternoon!

/ John Deere 1050 Hydraulic 3 Pt Hitch Locks Up or Down. #4  
Yes, this old 1987 JD 1050 is nothing but a Yanmar 4300 but I think it is better built than the new tractors. The problem is it is 35 years old with about 3900 hours on it. I have been flushing it with JD20A fluid and plan to use Hy guard once I get it back operational. I have changed it out 5 or 6 times and I also cleaned the screen every time. The fluid looks much better. I am screening it in plast jars! I have replaced the oil filter twice, but it is a possibility that it has stopped up again! I appreciate your offer of the service manual. I do have a operator, service, and parts manuals for this tractor & they have been super helpful.

I appreciate your feed back. I will let you know when I replace the oil filter. This afternoon is booked LOL. Alabama is playing Georgia this afternoon!

Have you totally flushed the inner hydraulics with diesel yet ??? That's in my write up. Diesel will dissolve all the gunk trapped in the system. Plus per gallon diesel is a bit cheap. If the system is really bad as you say, K1 (kerosene) flush may be your best bet overall. K1 is highly refined diesel. DO NOT use regular gas.

Do not use brake cleaners in the flush. Brake cleaner includes a number of chemicals such as acetone and tetrachloroethylene. These solvents are known to cause problems for nitrile, neoprene, millable polyurethane and silicone seals in the hydraulic system.

Thus without saying do not use acetone plus anything in the flush. It will do more harm than good.

/ John Deere 1050 Hydraulic 3 Pt Hitch Locks Up or Down. #5  
I located an older thread on TBN that discusses equivalent oil for TF500A.

My thoughts due to having served as JD dealer service manager for 13 yrs are that because the JD 1050 ""NOT HAVING wet brakes or wet clutches"" that JD Hy-gard is an ""over kill"' & was only recommended because that was JD's hyd oil of that era. Any good hyd oil should be able to lube the 1050 trans brgs & gears.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-05 063102.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-05 063102.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
   / John Deere 1050 Hydraulic 3 Pt Hitch Locks Up or Down. #6  
I had a 950 and there was lever under the set that could be moved side to side and it would stop the 3 pt . I think it talked about it in the manual about warming up the oil in cold weather. Might check yours.

/ John Deere 1050 Hydraulic 3 Pt Hitch Locks Up or Down. #7  
Paper towel in the hydraulic line to absorb moisture that’s one I never heard before.