Jinma 284 uh oh clutch problems

/ Jinma 284 uh oh clutch problems #1  

Stihlrunner

Silver Member
The other day I felt a "pop" in the clutch pedal and suddenly I had practically no free play and had to return the flopping pedal manually.

I slide under it and found the return spring broken. No biggie, ordered a return spring from Keno Tractor and put it on today. Still have have no freeplay and then clutch engages just as the pedal is let up. It also feels very "loose" and not much pedal pressure.

It's been about 25 degrees so I didn't spend any time diagnosing. Tractor has about 500 hrs on it with generally mild use. Am I going to need a clutch?o_O

/ Jinma 284 uh oh clutch problems #2  
There's almost certainly an adjustment in the linkage. You need to adjust for having around a half inch of free travel before any disengagement starts because you can't have the throw out bearing riding on the clutch fingers. I would try that first and test for clutch function and for holding power under load before you go any further.
If you still have a problem, some tractors will have an inspection port somewhere in or around the bellhousing. You can usually get an inspection camera in there and you may be able to see what's going on. You could have broken a clutch finger or spring

/ Jinma 284 uh oh clutch problems #3  
It is hard to know what else went wrong without getting a look inside. The access port is a cover on the bell housing just in front of the clutch pedal. If you have a front end loader this cover is removed and the mounting bracket bolts on in its place. You have to either remove the FEL so you can remove the bracket or find a way to securely block up the FEL and then remove the bracket. I have done it both ways.

Go to my web site here: Harnerfarm Jinma 284

The first document has a pretty good drawing of the clutch mechanism on page 29. It also walks you through the adjustment procedure. Feel free to download and keep any of the documents from my site, they are not mine, I'm just sharing them freely.

The second document has the same information starting on page 22

Somewhere I have some color photos of the process. If you want to see those let me know and I will try and find them and get them uploaded to the web site.

/ Jinma 284 uh oh clutch problems #4  
That's a great resource for info on the Jinma 200 series for sure! Has everything in one place anyone might need.

/ Jinma 284 uh oh clutch problems
It is hard to know what else went wrong without getting a look inside. The access port is a cover on the bell housing just in front of the clutch pedal. If you have a front end loader this cover is removed and the mounting bracket bolts on in its place. You have to either remove the FEL so you can remove the bracket or find a way to securely block up the FEL and then remove the bracket. I have done it both ways.

Go to my web site here: Harnerfarm Jinma 284

The first document has a pretty good drawing of the clutch mechanism on page 29. It also walks you through the adjustment procedure. Feel free to download and keep any of the documents from my site, they are not mine, I'm just sharing them freely.

The second document has the same information starting on page 22

Somewhere I have some color photos of the process. If you want to see those let me know and I will try and find them and get them uploaded to the web site.
Thanks for that. My FEL is a little different so I can access the inspection plate.

/ Jinma 284 uh oh clutch problems
This is EXACTLY what happened to my 284! I even ordered the same spring from Keno lol. I put it away until the weather improved and I can make further diagnosis. Did you end up fixing your tractor?