JD 26G Bucks Like Crazy, Is It Me Or The Machine?

/ JD 26G Bucks Like Crazy, Is It Me Or The Machine? #1  

jcwren

Tractor
Kubota L4701HST, John Deere 26G
I recently purchased a 2022 John Deere 26G with a 18" digging bucket, a thumb, and a 30" ditching bucket. I've got about 25 hours on, and while this is the first time I've run a mini-ex, I've gotten where I'm fairly smooth with it. Well, except on those occasions when I get crossed up and open the thumb instead of closing it, or whatever :)

Anyways, one thing I've found is the machine will sometimes buck like crazy, even when I've centered over the treads and have the blade down. It doesn't do it much when rolling the bucket, but operating the boom or dipper, and it just starts. I have to bring all motion to a complete stop and then >really< ease into it. It seems to be less of a problem when I have two motions going at one time, like pulling in the dipper and raising the boom. Doesn't seem to matter if the bucket is at max reach or close to cab. It can happen regardless if I've got something in the bucket or not. It is worse if I'm off center of the treads, and I do expect that.

I'm far from saying it's not me, but it just seems to be rather excessive. Is this just a typical characteristic of light mini-excavators? Are there any sort of known problems with the JDs that might cause this?

Thanks!
--JC

/ JD 26G Bucks Like Crazy, Is It Me Or The Machine? #2  
Its you. Sorry, I had too!

First - I'm very jealous, as that is a sweet machine and just the right size. But yes, new excavators are fast. And meant to operate smoothly operating multiple functions at once. So when only one function is working, it's fast and jerky. As you become more proficient, you'll adapt to the speed of the machine. In the meantime, try throttling down slightly. If you are operating it at full engine speed, try 3/4.

Older machines are somewhat slower and in a lot of cases looser (pins aren't as tight), and to me, easier to operate. Every time I jump in a new machine, I look like a newbie!

/ JD 26G Bucks Like Crazy, Is It Me Or The Machine?
It's you. Sorry, I had too!
Heh. I'm not the least bit surprised it's me!

I really wanted a 30G, but it would have been August before one came in. As it was, the dealership somehow accidentally managed to order two for the same guy, so I got the 2nd one in mid-June instead of late July. Lucky!

I've been running it about 80% throttle per the manual, as it's still under 50 hours. I'll try dropping it down and see if that helps. Thanks for that advice.

The only thing I've found that I don't really like is the thumb isn't a progressive linkage, so as soon as the bucket is rolled back about 90 degrees, you can't hold anything. I just discovered what a progressive linkage thumb is from watching Dirt Perfect on YouTube. Time to see if that's an option or not :) The other attachment I'd like to get is a micro-trenching bucket for laying in 6" and 4" plastic pipe. The 18" cuts wider than I'd like for where I need to put some line in.

Last edited:
   / JD 26G Bucks Like Crazy, Is It Me Or The Machine? #4  
If the tracks aren’t touching the ground the whole length try lowering the blade more so it’s only sitting on the blade and the end of the tracks. Excavators are kinda rocky anyway but if you’ve got a hump in the center of the tracks it’s really bad.