JD 2440 Leaking from Cover of Old Style Dual Remote SCV

/ JD 2440 Leaking from Cover of Old Style Dual Remote SCV #1  

tallman8251

Tractor
JD 2440
So I have a 2440 and the Top cover is leaking on one of the SCV's for a dual remote system. I bought a new packing and replaced it and it is still leaking..
The packing I purchased was for a single SCV.. Could that be it?

I feel stupid asking this, but am I am missing something? I feel this shouldnt be that hard... Yet here I am ..LOL

/ JD 2440 Leaking from Cover of Old Style Dual Remote SCV #2  
R49187 should be correct part # for utility tractor SCV top cover seal. Seal is same for both of your tractor's scv's. That part # fits 79 different tractor models. Check for crack in cover or scv housing. How does return oil from scv get back to tractor hyd system(RS housing or ported filter cover)?

/ JD 2440 Leaking from Cover of Old Style Dual Remote SCV
Thank Tx,
R49187 should be correct part # for utility tractor SCV top cover seal. Seal is same for both of your tractor's scv's. That part # fits 79 different tractor models. Check for crack in cover or scv housing. How does return oil from scv get back to tractor hyd system(RS housing or ported filter cover)?
I believe it is the ported Filter Cover, I have eyeballed the cover and Housing and they look good.

/ JD 2440 Leaking from Cover of Old Style Dual Remote SCV #4  
It's remotely possible trans pump pressure(155 psi) is blowing the seal. If you continue having leak you could reroute scv return oil to rockshaft(3 pt hitch) housing as a test. I served as a JD dealer service manager from '74-'87

It's remotely possible trans pump pressure(155 psi) is blowing the seal. If you continue having leak you could reroute scv return oil to rockshaft(3 pt hitch) housing as a test. I served as a JD dealer service manager from '74-'87
Thanks again, How would I do that, it looks like there is a T Fitting on the ported cover? On the diagram I am seeing on JD it looks like it is just a straight line going in. I think one of the ends of the T goes to the loader in front.?? Not 100% sure as I am at work right now.

in addition I have two breakaway couplers on back and have removed one that was leaking and capped the lines... Would this have any effect on possible over pressurization of the SCV?
just a random thought

Last edited:
   / JD 2440 Leaking from Cover of Old Style Dual Remote SCV #6  
   / JD 2440 Leaking from Cover of Old Style Dual Remote SCV #7  
Tee in line at the ported filter cover should be return from the loader.
My JD 203 has the SCVs return to the ported filter cover, as does my loader.
I would try swapping the SCV covers and see if the leak moves to the other SCV. If it does, maybe a new cover?

Tee in line at the ported filter cover should be return from the loader.
My JD 203 has the SCVs return to the ported filter cover, as does my loader.
I would try swapping the SCV covers and see if the leak moves to the other SCV. If it does, maybe a new cover?
I thought about that. However, i am apprehensive to try that as then I may have two leaks...... I checked last night and indeed the loader is ported back to the filter as well as the SCV's hence the T...

Has anyone used RTV or anything on these covers? thinking about trying that..

/ JD 2440 Leaking from Cover of Old Style Dual Remote SCV #9  
Did you check scv cover to be sure it's flat/level?

Did you check scv cover to be sure it's flat/level?
@Tx Jim @Zebrafive
Yes I put a straight edge on it and it looks good, also verified part numbers they are good.

Here are pictures of the two gaskets, old vs new... Does this look right.. Definite size differences... top / left is new, bottom / right is old.
IMG_20220112_170424407.jpg
IMG_20220112_170511924.jpg

Last edited: