JD 1020 PTO Quill removal

/ JD 1020 PTO Quill removal #1  

Les8N

Tractor
1949 8N, 1967 JD 1020
My Dad has a 1967 JD 1020 that we have been working on for one thing or another in the last year or so. The latest problem is trying to remove the PTO quill to replace the seal. The thing seems to be seized in the bore. The three bolts are out and I have tapped on it with wood blocks and cannot get it loose. I called a local JD dealer and they mentioned tying the shaft off to something and pulling away from it and then said that would not work as the shaft stays in. Is there a way to turn/twist the quill? I looked at getting a large chain wrench to try to turn it. Any suggestions and thank you in advance.

/ JD 1020 PTO Quill removal #2  
There are several pto types possible on the 1020. If you have the three bolt type, that narrows it down some but the quill should come out. Some types the shaft will come out with the quill, some do not. It sounds as if the gasket is stuck tight. I would try to get something thin like a gasket scraper to try and drive it down into the gasket joint to break it loose.

/ JD 1020 PTO Quill removal
There are several pto types possible on the 1020. If you have the three bolt type, that narrows it down some but the quill should come out. Some types the shaft will come out with the quill, some do not. It sounds as if the gasket is stuck tight. I would try to get something thin like a gasket scraper to try and drive it down into the gasket joint to break it loose.

I will try that today and let you know. Thanks

I used a putty knife and tapped all around the quill. It eventually came apart. The seal is in and the tractor is ready to go.
Thanks.

image4.jpegimage3.jpegimage2.jpeg

Last edited:
   / JD 1020 PTO Quill removal #4  
Les8N. Did you have any trouble getting the old seal out? I’m trying to replace the seal on my 2020 and I can’t get the seal out of the quill.

/ JD 1020 PTO Quill removal #5  
Les8N has not been on TBN since 2018.

Hopefully the last posts in your other thread will help you get that seal out.

When you get that new seal, you will see what has to come out of the bearing holder (what you are calling the quill).

Good luck.

/ JD 1020 PTO Quill removal #6  
I cut a plate the size of the seal and install it in the bearinghousing before I install the seal . Then that plate help to protect the seal from outside stuff !