JD 1020 Gas - what's the trick for installing the tach cable to the gage??

/ JD 1020 Gas - what's the trick for installing the tach cable to the gage?? #1  

jjaaam

Tractor
John Deere 1020
I just had some work done on my 1967 JD 1020 (gas). The mechanic did a great job but when I got it back the tach wasn't working. I contacted him and he said to unscrew the tach cable from the gage, pull out the center section, and reinsert. I've just tried it numerous times and the end result is the same - I pull the center piece out, and it gets pushed back down when I insert the cable to the gage. I've tried it with the tractor off and also with it idling.

Any insight? It's a simple thing, but frustrating! LOL

Thanks

/ JD 1020 Gas - what's the trick for installing the tach cable to the gage?? #2  
Does the inner cable show any signs of being broken? It sounds too short.
Have you made sure the engine end of the outer cable is properly installed?

/ JD 1020 Gas - what's the trick for installing the tach cable to the gage??
Does the inner cable show any signs of being broken? It sounds too short.
Have you made sure the engine end of the outer cable is properly installed?
No, I haven't checked the engine end. I'll do so. Thanks.

/ JD 1020 Gas - what's the trick for installing the tach cable to the gage?? #4  
No, I haven't checked the engine end. I'll do so. Thanks.

Let us know. It sounds like the wrong center section... Either the cable is broken off or made too short - or even more likely something is not right with the piece on the engine that the inner plugs into.

That part on the engine that the cable plugs into is a little driven gear that has a short shaft to receive the end of the inner cable. It generally lives in a housing with an O ring to keep it from leaking oil. I'm not exactly sure how the 1020 part looks, but generally they are as described and expect the whole inner piece is smaller than my toe. I wonder if you are missing that part? It could be laying on his workbench.
rScotty

/ JD 1020 Gas - what's the trick for installing the tach cable to the gage??
Just checked the engine end and no luck. There’s zero room to get in there by hand to unscrew the knurled nut that goes into the block. I’ll have to go get a set of needle nose vise grip pliers to get it loose.

Until I can do that, here’s a little more info. At the gage end of the cable, I can grab the end of the center section and it will move along inside the length of the cable housing at least 3/4”.

Also, I can NOT spin the center section freely.

I ordered a new cable and the engine end looks a bit bigger than the current cable. I’m not 100% sold on the idea that the cable is bad though.

Guess I’ll have to get the old cable off first before I can go any farther.

/ JD 1020 Gas - what's the trick for installing the tach cable to the gage?? #6  
Keep that old cable. Great for pushing through bent fuel lines and such.

/ JD 1020 Gas - what's the trick for installing the tach cable to the gage?? #7  
Just checked the engine end and no luck. There’s zero room to get in there by hand to unscrew the knurled nut that goes into the block. I’ll have to go get a set of needle nose vise grip pliers to get it loose.

Until I can do that, here’s a little more info. At the gage end of the cable, I can grab the end of the center section and it will move along inside the length of the cable housing at least 3/4”.

Also, I can NOT spin the center section freely.

I ordered a new cable and the engine end looks a bit bigger than the current cable. I’m not 100% sold on the idea that the cable is bad though.

Guess I’ll have to get the old cable off first before I can go any farther.

There's got to be a tool for that - though I do have a 6" needle nose vise grips - probably haven't used them twice in 20 years. Nice quality tool. I can believe that they would turn a knurled nut.

If the 1020 is like the tach drive on our old vintage JD, the the center section is a stranded steel cable and should spin freely until you push it far enough into the housing so that the far end of the cable at the motor end slips into the driving gear. Then it won't turn unless the motor is turning it.

The old tach on the JD530 was well worth taking apart. Fascinating insides.
rScotty