Buying Advice Importing Iseki and Mitsubishi tractors in the US?

/ Importing Iseki and Mitsubishi tractors in the US? #1  

htiek126

Silver Member
Tractor
Iseki TA270F, Yanmar YM1510D, Mitsubishi MT2201D
I am looking at replacing my Mitsubishi MT2201D and Yanmar YM1510D, but it does not look like folks are importing grey market tractors. Given the recent improvements in the Yen exchange rate, it seems like there would be more inventory available. Does anyone have any insight of the current state of importing grey market tractors (not including Yanmar and Kubota) in the US?

/ Importing Iseki and Mitsubishi tractors in the US? #2  
Keith, Iam curious about the state of importing as of now too. Please let me know if you hav found any info. Thanks.

I am looking at replacing my Mitsubishi MT2201D and Yanmar YM1510D, but it does not look like folks are importing grey market tractors. Given the recent improvements in the Yen exchange rate, it seems like there would be more inventory available. Does anyone have any insight of the current state of importing grey market tractors (not including Yanmar and Kubota) in the US?

/ Importing Iseki and Mitsubishi tractors in the US? #3  
As I see it to import you have to comply with current regulations such as CAFE (for cars) OSHA- roll bars, safety switches lighting smog and pollution regs etc.

Biggest problem as I see it would be to obtain the parts needed to comply as the dealer networks refuse to support those 'GREYS' plus manuals often don't exist in English.
Then in some cases even if physically the same model and part numbers don't agree.

Then there is some very shady offshore rebuilders to add to the equation.

I would think about the only safe way would be to actually visit and select your own Grey in the same way you'd buy locally but then the costs and hurdles suggest buying locally from a reputed dealer is the better way to go.

/ Importing Iseki and Mitsubishi tractors in the US? #4  
As I see it to import you have to comply with current regulations such as CAFE (for cars) OSHA- roll bars, safety switches lighting smog and pollution regs etc.

I think that would be only for commercial importers, and OSHA would likely never apply, because that is just a series of rules that an end-use employer must comply with for his employees use. A private user can import and use what ever bucket of bolts they wish, the long arm of the California Air Resources Board exempted.

/ Importing Iseki and Mitsubishi tractors in the US? #5  
What is the advantage of importing grey market tractors when we have so many choices new, used and refurbished?

/ Importing Iseki and Mitsubishi tractors in the US? #6  
What is the advantage of importing grey market tractors when we have so many choices new, used and refurbished?

It used to be because for a low cost you could get a very good quality tractor. However that is muddled severely by some Far East junk tractor rebuilders importing some real trash as opposed to quality one owner Japanese units that some dealers provided. Also American tractor retailers work very hard at making the grey market tractor program fail as it hurts their sales. It is hard to find a reputable grey market dealer these days.

/ Importing Iseki and Mitsubishi tractors in the US? #7  

1/3rd the price, totally rebuilt and reconditioned by a UTDA facility that now meets or exceeds Federal tractor safety requirements.

Fredricks Importing

Now with the ***** tariffs on NEW products coming into the USA, the used and refurbish markets are taking off once again. There's been a big upswing in the last 1-1/2 years.

As for the new machines, TYM+Yanmar USA has teamed together with Rural King to roll out a very strong tractor series brand called RK. It's focused on the Homesteader up to the 50+ acre farmers. RK Tractors | More Tractor Less Price TM

/ Importing Iseki and Mitsubishi tractors in the US? #8  
I bought my Mitsubishi from a grey market dealer here in town. He no longer does grey market but carries LS and Mahindra. Although they are cheaper than Kubota I went orange because the guy is a total sleaze - no dealer support after the sale. I could still buy grey marked but would need to travel eighty miles to do so. Their tractors do all have ROPS but my Mitsubishi has taught me parts can be an issue as well. I spent a few thousand more but I'm pretty sure my tractor has a support system behind it.

/ Importing Iseki and Mitsubishi tractors in the US? #9  
I bought my Mitsubishi from a grey market dealer here in town. He no longer does grey market but carries LS and Mahindra. Although they are cheaper than Kubota I went orange because the guy is a total sleaze - no dealer support after the sale. I could still buy grey marked but would need to travel eighty miles to do so. Their tractors do all have ROPS but my Mitsubishi has taught me parts can be an issue as well. I spent a few thousand more but I'm pretty sure my tractor has a support system behind it.

Are you part of the Yahoo Group for Mitsubishi grey tractors? It's a group of over 2,700 members with a very deep supply chain connection around North America. The group recently migrated to GroupsIO. mitsubishitractors@groups.io | Home

Bolans and Iseki tractors use Mitsubishi engines and in many instances, the parts are easy to get.

With the Yanmar grey market tractors, it has both 'new' parts in the supply chain and used part dealers. There is even a UTDA dealer network now, mostly on the east side of the Mississippi. Also, the grey market Yanmars share sooooo many parts and engine types with the John Deere's as the JD's are either twins just painted green or siblings in JD green paint. :D

The grey market orange Kubota's are not well supported though. That is very hard to get parts.

Bummer you had a grey market sleaze dealer.

Today, Mitsubishi isn't making their own tractors any more. They have Mahindra build them and badge them.

Yes, having a supply chain behind you is VERY IMPORTANT. My YM2610 is basically a John Deere 850 with the shuttle power-shift. Plus, Yanmar sold YM 3-digit tractors here in the USA that are siblings to the international models too. So, the supply chain is still strong.