IH 674 No power coming to fuel gauge

/ IH 674 No power coming to fuel gauge #1  

domains

Silver Member
,I bought a universal gauge for temp because that kinda scares me, the fuel gauge Tried with a test light with key on , nothing, no 12 volts going to gauge, Do i try sending unite ground to battery , or live wire of sender to gauge, thx for help

Last edited:
   / IH 674 No power coming to fuel gauge #2  
Have you got power to the sending unit in the tank? If yes, it could be a bad resistor or float in the sending unit. If no, keep tracing back. Everything still attached at the key switch?

/ IH 674 No power coming to fuel gauge #3  
Make sure you sending unit works first. It can be removed easily from the top of the tank.

/ IH 674 No power coming to fuel gauge #4  
Check a schematic for your tractor. Some instruments may be powered with five volts not twelve.

/ IH 674 No power coming to fuel gauge
Both gauges stopped working when i placed a ground from starter to battery , it even bypassed the big shut off switch motor would still turn with switch off , Tomarrow il check if power goes to sending unite for fuel , Hope its ok because I got a big cab on my tractor and have to remove tank to remove sending unite.

Tractor only has two fuses and I bypassed them to check and no go , all wires on fuel and temp are all green, kinda confusing, I dont want to short anything

Snowing today, thanks for the help everyone il try tomorrow to see if power is at the sending unite , if sending unite is ok i might run a live wire to fuse box and check ground , could be i burnt fuel gauge , one wire from the gauge went to temp gauge not sure if its a ground because all the wires are green, If sending unite is ok I might buy a universal temp gauge with 2 wires, mine has 3

Last edited:
Said frig the snow, Jumped a wire to positive of battery to gauge and nothing, plugged to other wire and my Fuel gauge works :) Theres only two wires I though 3, One is double connection I thought it was a ground, When i close main big switch fuel stops working as normal, I should not have an issue were current is still flowing?,I need a OHM meter, the main switch is on negative wire to battery

Changed temp gauge with a universal one for nothing it seems because that wire went over to it , but I have a live wire issue somewhere

Last edited:
Ran it for 1 hour blowing snow to make sure everythings ok, when the gauge first worked it marked about half a tank so i placed 5 gallons and it went up to 3/4 , sense i got tractor( 10 years) 3/4 meant full, so go out to try it for an hour and it read full and i thought frig its not working , but while driving it i noticed the needle moving so its working , strange , temp read 185f so im happy about that aswell