IH 674 Diesel fuel tank

/ IH 674 Diesel fuel tank #1  

domains

Silver Member
I bought a new fuel cap Because The rubber was cracked , Looking inside the tank you can see a breather pipe But no pipe coming out of bottom of tank , how does it breath? through the fuel filters? With new fuel cap no air can bypass it , Just kinda worried il have issues , I looked for pictures online but can't see where it breaths

/ IH 674 Diesel fuel tank
I found it in a diagram , goes under tank towards motor, Do this breathers clog often?

Seems the breather pipe is plugged and to much of a big job to fix so im going to buy a cap that vents air, lost 35$ for a cap i cant use unless I drill a small hole, thanks for the help

/ IH 674 Diesel fuel tank #4  
Never had to look for the tank vent on mine

/ IH 674 Diesel fuel tank #5  
The tube you should see when you open the fuel cap runs to the bottom of the tank, if you look at the bottom of the tank you will see an unused looking fitting, that is the vent. I over filled the tank one time and fuel was coming out that way.

/ IH 674 Diesel fuel tank #7  
Found a problem I had for 10 years , In winter when cold I had to heat starter for it to turn and fuel gauge would sometimes not work , It was the starter to motor ground , in summer it would start fine, last starter lasted 8 years, like new inside but all rusted by the condensation from heating it, my friend had same starter on his tractor and no winter issues, i knew something was up. i thought it was normal because others online had same issue, my model is 1978 donlt see vent, online its behind tank and not worth the trouble and just use a vented cap

Il drill a small hole , maybe next summer il take tank off to get at it