I see that Stellantis is finally settling over the Jeep death wobble..

/ I see that Stellantis is finally settling over the Jeep death wobble.. #1  

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
About time actually and it's not only them but everyone who sells a live front axle truck or SUV. I had a CJ years ago and it was just downright dangerous on the highway. Never again. My F350 Ford Super Duty required 2 steering dampers to tame it. 2 Skyjackers on the tie rod.

I've read the issue is in how the steering box is mounted to the frame and how it gets loose over time.

Know a guy who broke his wrist when the steering wheel was wrenched from his hands when he hit a pot hole with his Rubicon. Now they get to pay damages.

/ I see that Stellantis is finally settling over the Jeep death wobble.. #2  
I only recently learned of Death Wobble, having joined a Ford forum prior to purchasing my F350 in November. Fortunately I've not noticed any issues with my truck, but I figure down the line I'll probably replace my steering dampener with a Bilstein 5100.

It must be the nature of the SFA? From what I can tell, this has been an issue going back 50+ years.

/ I see that Stellantis is finally settling over the Jeep death wobble.. #3  
I never had it on early Jeeps with narrow tires, but wider wheels and tires made it happen occasionally. Those Jeeps didn't have a track bar with parallel drag link as mentioned here.

"Vehicles particularly vulnerable typically have a solid front axle held in place with a track
bar, and a steering drag link roughly parallel to the track bar."

Bruce

/ I see that Stellantis is finally settling over the Jeep death wobble.. #4  
I've seen the term mentioned on Jeep forums, but have never experienced it on any of the Jeeps I've owned.

/ I see that Stellantis is finally settling over the Jeep death wobble.. #5  
I never had it on early Jeeps with narrow tires, but wider wheels and tires made it happen occasionally. Those Jeeps didn't have a track bar with parallel drag link as mentioned here.

"Vehicles particularly vulnerable typically have a solid front axle held in place with a track
bar, and a steering drag link roughly parallel to the track bar."

Bruce

Careful what tires you choose. BFG (I think) is one of the worst offenders. Good (GOOD) Bridgestone, Nitto, Toyo is known to be an excellent tire for straight-axle 4WD Trucks. Good, strong, stout sidewalls is what you want.

Think that's fun? I had an older Harley that would go into sooper-scary Death Wobble over a certain speed. Around 100MPH, I think. Tube tires...... Junk.

I have a Ram 2500 CTD so I keep an eye on things. No lift kits, no level kits, no changing to suspension geometry in any way and I try to buy good A/T Tires when it's time. No Mud tires for me. Been there, done that. Most of them are 'flotation' tires and they SUCK for death wobble

So far, so good, cruising at 85MPH all day, no problem. Even then, I get my front windows sucked out by a Honda doing 120. All the time.

/ I see that Stellantis is finally settling over the Jeep death wobble.. #6  

Careful what tires you choose. BFG (I think) is one of the worst offenders. Good (GOOD) Bridgestone, Nitto, Toyo is known to be an excellent tire for straight-axle 4WD Trucks. Good, strong, stout sidewalls is what you want.

Think that's fun? I had an older Harley that would go into sooper-scary Death Wobble over a certain speed. Around 100MPH, I think. Tube tires...... Junk.

I have a Ram 2500 CTD so I keep an eye on things. No lift kits, no level kits, no changing to suspension geometry in any way and I try to buy good A/T Tires when it's time. No Mud tires for me. Been there, done that. Most of them are 'flotation' tires and they SUCK for death wobble

So far, so good, cruising at 85MPH all day, no problem. Even then, I get my front windows sucked out by a Honda doing 120. All the time.
My F550 diesel developed a death wobble. Replaced the steer tires and had the tire shop make sure and balance them really well.

Trucks nice and smooth down the road now.

/ I see that Stellantis is finally settling over the Jeep death wobble.. #7  
Had a Dodge 2500 that ended up with a lawyer attached for Death Wobble. Spent a fair amount of money trying to fix it to no avail. Pretty odd phenomenon.

Good to see it being addressed.

/ I see that Stellantis is finally settling over the Jeep death wobble..
I have good results with the dual Skyjacker dampeners so far.

/ I see that Stellantis is finally settling over the Jeep death wobble.. #9  
Death wobble is an indicator of some component not doing it's job. It's never always tires. It's never always steering stabilizer. It's never always alignment.

I've chased it several times. I've always found solution in a different place.

It should never be tolerated.

Keep trying until you find the cause.

Warning: what you think is the cause may be a bandaid.