Hydraulic steel lines for front end loader

/ Hydraulic steel lines for front end loader #1  

Awesome 755

Tractor
John Deere 755
I have a JD 755 that I’m building a front end loader similar to a jd 52 or jd 70 loader. I need more info on what steel lines to use and what tools I should use for forming the flairs (jic 37???) and bending the tubing. I am using 1.75 x 18” stroke welded loader cylinders with #6 ports. Any help on the tubing and tools to use would be appreciated thanks!

/ Hydraulic steel lines for front end loader #2  
Get the proper hydraulic tubing for that project and I wouldn't bother with flare the ends. Just use hydraulic compression fittings and be done with it. As far as size, something around 3/8" ID or 8 to 10 mm should be plenty for that tractor.

Attachments

• 1655748363055.png
    1655748363055.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 263

/ Hydraulic steel lines for front end loader #3  
I bought 3/8" brake line for the Kenbota build but all the hydraulic fittings were outrageously priced. :rolleyes: I ended up using all hose lines from Surplus Center. Even with a few adapters and hose routing clamps, it was still cheaper and just as functional.

/ Hydraulic steel lines for front end loader
okay. Yea one of my friends suggested just using hose also. I think it looks better with steel lines but probably not worth the effort.

/ Hydraulic steel lines for front end loader #5  
For steel tubing you will need a good tube bender meant for steel tubing. You have option of 37 flare, flareless compression style tube ends or silver solder O-ring face seal ends onto the steel tube. On small loaders the steel line does look better but suspect cost would be very similar to using all hose.

Imperial Eastman & Parker both make good tubing equipment. I am sure there are other brands also.

Another might be local hydraulic shop. Take them dimensional drawing of tubing you need and they could probably make it for less than the tools would cost you.

/ Hydraulic steel lines for front end loader #6  
When I built my loader, I was going to use the compression fittings but ended up getting hydraulic tubing with thicker wall that I was going to use (1.5 vs 2 mm), machined the fittings my self and welded them on with my old trusty rectifier stick welder with 3/32" 6013 rods.

I also made a quick and dirty bender for the tubing that worked surprising well.

IMG_20190917_164847.jpg
IMG_20190917_164851.jpg
IMG_20191011_175401.jpg

/ Hydraulic steel lines for front end loader #7  
Most tractor lines are steel or stainless steel. Grainger, and Zoro both list high pressure stainless tubing. I am sure that there are other sources as well. A common set up for hydraulic lines is to use a swagelok style fitting, or to flare the line and use a JIC or SAE fitting. I will use Parker examples, but there are many other manufactures out there. For example the Parker Ferulok is the bite type fitting. It is to be used with 3/8" Steel or Stainless Steel tubing 0.035"-0.095" wall thickness and are good for up to 5,000 PSI for most fittings. The advantage with tube bite is that you can get different thread ends, such as JIC, NPT, ORB, etc. If you want to jump a size or two then you would have the best luck with a tube bite.

Also note that Tubes are measured on the OD, and hoses are measured like pipes on the ID. It is normal to use a hose one size smaller than the tube, ex: 3/8" hose with 1/2' tube. 1/4" tube will not let hardly any flow through it and will most likely cause the relief to open on the valve as soon as it is actuated due to the inability to handle the B21 flow.

Another way is to flare the tube, JIC is the most common. You would need a quality flaring set such as a Ridgid 377. For Parker you would put a BTX nut and a TX sleeve, then flare it. For bending 1/2" you would need a bender such as a Ridgid 606, 608, or Imperial 564FH-06 or 564FH-08. Parker also offers benders. The tooling is not cheap for this sort of work. Steel lines look great, however they are $$ to make. I would go with hose unless you think you will use the tools again.

Really good info. I thought the cost of steel tube would b less and the “savings” I could put toward tooling. But it makes sense to use hose. Someone mentioned surplus center and their hoses seem reasonable.

Is there a front end loader build on here for a jd 755 or 855 tractor?