Hydraulic oil

/ Hydraulic oil #1  

ernieatv

Tractor
4100 john deere
I have a 2015 takeuchi tb230 and trying to find out re: hydraulic oil. The service people change oil in the hydraulic system and they put in they said 10w30 oil but it was under the low mark on the stick. They told me it was ok to mix hydraulic oil because I didn't have 10w30 with me. Question, is it ok to mix 10w30 oil with hydraulic oil ? Will it damage the system ( pump ) thnx

/ Hydraulic oil #2  
My New Holland skidsteer calls for 10w30 for the hydraulics...so I use 10w30 and don't mix oils. Pumps and valves are too expensive for me to risk mixing fluids. My opinion.

/ Hydraulic oil #3  
So you don’t trust what your service tech tells you….but you’re willing to heed online advice?
If you’re really concerned/worried simply go to the shop that did the latest service and buy some jugs of the oil that they used. You should have some spare oil anyways because it’s normal to lose some hydraulic oil when changing implements….🤷

/ Hydraulic oil #4  
On the subject, I find PS fluid interesting for example. Depending on the machine and mfgr., it varies from actual PS fluid to Ford tranny fluid, to XW-30 motor oil and who knows what else.

My take is that lubricants are basically lubricants of different base stocks. Additives however are use specific, to attack a certain problems common to the type of equipment in which the lubricant is used.

One would thing that the manufacturer is the correct source for what to use as they designed, tested, built and for some time are responsible for the proper operation of their equipment. They ought to know if anyone does.