Hydraulic lines left open to weather?

/ Hydraulic lines left open to weather? #1  

2manyrocks

I was looking at a quick attach tree puller up for auction, but noticed that the two hydraulic lines appear to be open to the weather. There aren't any quick couplers on the lines. The ends of the lines aren't even capped with plastic caps. There is one cylinder that opens and closes the jaws on the puller.

What would you recommend? How would I go about flushing the lines and cylinder to make sure there isn't any water or anything else in there that might get into my tractor's hydraulic system?

/ Hydraulic lines left open to weather? #3  
There is not much you can do with this double acting cylinder set up other than
changing hoses and the cylinder since they left it open to air.

Since they striped it from another machine to sell it the piston packings may or
may not be blown not which will affect how well it grips trash trees to rip them out.

The other things you do not know for certain are

1. whether the stuffing box packing and rod wiper are leaking hydraulic oil.

2. the condition of the cylinder rod eye bushing and cylinder barrel eye bushing and
whether it is elongated from the stress of gripping the weed trees.

3. these things are designed by idiots that have no idea about the stresses created
from the act of tree shearing which can and will bend hydraulic cylinder rod as the
hydraulic cylinders are purchased without the proper length stop tubes by following
the simple rule of one inch of stop tube for every foot of extended length to prevent the
following items from occurring:

a. bending stresses damaging and scoring the cylinder barrel
b. bending damaging the cylinder piston
c. bending the cylinder rod
d. destroying the cylinder stuffing box from the cylinder rod bending.
e. destroying the cylinder rod eye from the bending of the rod
f. destroying the cylinder barrel eye from the bending of the rod

The other unknowns are numerous;

1. what the condition of the ssqa mounting plate is; specifically the base tab weldments as they would absorb a great deal of pulling stress
2. what the condition of the ssqa attachment handles is
3. what the condition of the ssqa locking pins are
4. what the condition of the ssqa locking springs are if used

Especially the following;

5. Are the 4 mounting tabs on the SSQA mounting plate bent from
the repeated action of tearing out weed trees?

6. You have no idea what the condition of the of the hydraulic cylinder
pins are-they will run into money if they come up bad/bent.

7. You have no idea what the condition of the mounting weldments is as the tree puller is not mounted on a machine so that you can run it
by extending rod eye to fully close and retract the grippers.

I would pass on this unless you have time, money machining skills and a welder.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic lines left open to weather?
Doesn't look used, but it looks like it sat outside in the weather unsold for a while.

Not the stoutest design I've seen, but I'm only interested in it to pull some very small saplings under 2" and would be converting it to the three point rear hitch. So don't want to pay much as this is pretty much an experiment.

/ Hydraulic lines left open to weather? #5  
Personally, I would've just pulled the hoses off and blow the hoses with compressed air. Take a look at the ports and see if there is any trash inside. Then run it.

/ Hydraulic lines left open to weather? #6  
Purchase the large brush grubber choker chain from Gemplers, less drama, less in cost and no hydraulics to mess with.
You just need a tractor heavy enough to pull the saplings out with a shackle that fits the tow hitch pin hole on your mule.

/ Hydraulic lines left open to weather? #7  
Personally, I would've just pulled the hoses off and blow the hoses with compressed air. Take a look at the ports and see if there is any trash inside. Then run it.
I would also hang tree puller so the ports are at the bottom and work the cyl by hand and see what comes out. (or remove cyl and do the same)

/ Hydraulic lines left open to weather?
Purchase the large brush grubber choker chain from Gemplers, less drama, less in cost and no hydraulics to mess with.
You just need a tractor heavy enough to pull the saplings out with a shackle that fits the tow hitch pin hole on your mule.

Chain + pipe works extremely well, but time consuming to get on and off the tractor to deal with so many saplings.

The other concern I have with the tree puller that is up for auction near me is I suspect it may shear off small saplings, and I don't want a bunch of sharp stubs in my field.

/ Hydraulic lines left open to weather? #9  
You can pull the cylinder and drain what's in it. It will drain with no pressure. If you dont find mich water I would hook it up and go.

/ Hydraulic lines left open to weather? #10  
I'd buy it cheap. Hook it up and see if all good. Ain't too much to it. You could take cylinder off and push and pull to clean it out. I've pulled a rope with a piece of cloth through hoses to clean them out.