hyd shuttle adj inquiry on Mxx40 series

/ hyd shuttle adj inquiry on Mxx40 series #1  

big bubba

Elite Member
Tractor
M8540
have an M8540 w/550 hrs. have had to adj the hyd shuttle linkage recently. i realize cable tension changes over time & necessitates adjustment. but performance after adj. still concerns me...rather than go into details, has anyone with the Mxx40 series adjusted their hyd shuttle? maybe give me your adj details and results. i can explain more with your input. i'm very familiar w/manual gear transmissions & clutch use, never riding clutch,etc....... thx in advance....

/ hyd shuttle adj inquiry on Mxx40 series #2  
My M7040 has over 1250 hrs on tach with no hyd shuttle adjustment required. It has loaded/unloaded many,many truck loads of rd bales.

/ hyd shuttle adj inquiry on Mxx40 series
My M7040 has over 1250 hrs on tach with no hyd shuttle adjustment required. It has loaded/unloaded many,many truck loads of rd bales.

ok thanks, that's why i'm a bit concerned, still not quite right. i'll talk to my dealer & look at the shop manual

/ hyd shuttle adj inquiry on Mxx40 series #4  
Just under 1,300 or 1,400 on the M9540 HD12. A lot of that is forward and back loader work. No problems yet.

Just under 1,300 or 1,400 on the M9540 HD12. A lot of that is forward and back loader work. No problems yet.

glad to hear. btw 80% of the time i'll have it in gear & use hyd shuttle lever for directional change. occasionally, i will operate transmission depressing clutch pedal w/hyd lever in either direction. my understanding is that the transmission is designed to handle both ways...surely the ladder will not cause premature clutch pack wear? if so, didn't see anything in owners manual in that regard. never ride the clutch. been operating manual transmissions all my life, never wore out a clutch.... thanks

/ hyd shuttle adj inquiry on Mxx40 series #6  
From talking to the guys in the shop where I bought my tractor the only two failures they'd seen were due to low hydraulic fluid and riding the clutch.

Hopefully yours is just an adjustment.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

/ hyd shuttle adj inquiry on Mxx40 series #7  
I will be curious to find out as we've never had to adjust ours. My sons usually use the foot clutch to change gears, but I use the hand lever.

/ hyd shuttle adj inquiry on Mxx40 series #8  
I've only got maybe 300 hours on my 7040, am also curious how the shuttle gets adjusted... Will look for its cable next time I need to put a bale out or plow.

thanks for all the interest. will let you guys know on that, want to give the dealer catch up time before talking to a mechanic. btw my previous brand new 7040 had to have it's hyd shuttle adjusted right off, poor factory ajd. i sure wouldn't fiddle with it if it's working!! at least to access the linkage/cable adjustment, remove the clam shell housing on the steering column surrounding the lever. from what i see, the tension adj. can be done at the linkage turnbuckle, or also by tightening the cable housing close by (kinda like a bicycle brake,etc). my concern is that only a 1/2 turn (180 degrees) of turnbuckle adj either way will make opposite direction change hesitate as though it is slipping. hoping this is not premature wear. we'll see what they say. btw also, i'm well aware, as all of you, there's a certain normal hesitation in directional change so the power actuator valve can do it's thing. thanks again.

Last edited:
   / hyd shuttle adj inquiry on Mxx40 series #10  
What is it doing? Dealer had told me F-R shifts have best quality if shifted direct, not pausing in neutral. I am used to dry clutch tractor and 100% driver involvement, so having the machine do it for me is just weird.