How to remove opposite side tie rod end: SOLVED

/ How to remove opposite side tie rod end: SOLVED #1  

fritz423b

Tractor
JD 5520
Thanks for all the replies on my previous question. I've got the steering rod out of my JD 5520 which entailed unscrewing the right sided tie rod end. That was a PITA. now that I've got the rod out I need to remove the left side tie rod end. I've tried heat, hammers, air chisel with no luck. They only give a little tiny two flats on the opposite side to hold the rod and it's getting buggered up. Anyone have a secret to this? I need to get the tie rod end off to replace all the seals on that side.

Attachments

• steering cylinder schematic.png
    steering cylinder schematic.png
    17 KB · Views: 142
   / How to remove opposite side tie rod end: SOLVED #2  
What I do is I cut a groove in the tierod near where it join. Not to on the crome rod. Then hit it to remove the thightnes on is. Then it will unscrew by hand.

Last edited:
   / How to remove opposite side tie rod end: SOLVED
Thanks, my goal was not to damage the original parts since I plan to reuse. Came upon a suggestion on the internet that worked. Put a 1 1/16 open end wrench over the flats and screwed the tie rod back onto the cylinder with a big washer. Snug down the tie rod end and put wrench in a vise and have at the other tie rod end. Worked perfect, makes me feel dumb for the entire afternoon I wasted yesterday trying everything else...
IMG_0931.jpg

/ How to remove opposite side tie rod end: SOLVED #4  
Usually one side is Right hand threads and the other is Left hand threads. You may be tightening it.

/ How to remove opposite side tie rod end: SOLVED
Usually one side is Right hand threads and the other is Left hand threads. You may be tightening it.

No they are right hand threads on both sides. Once I figured out the trick I got it off in less than a minute.

/ How to remove opposite side tie rod end: SOLVED #7  
Thanks for the video ... I would suggest blocking the axle before working on the machine. Relying on a jack is risky. Especially those hi-lift jacks.