How should I fell the remainder of this tree?

/ How should I fell the remainder of this tree? #1  

MountainBuck

Silver Member
Tractor
Ventrac 4500P; Kubota RTV-X1100C
This living ash tree fell over and made a nice barber chair in the last storm.

The more that I cut on it now, the more it wants to "stand up" and is making me very nervous.

It may not look like it, but the horizontal part of the tree is about 8 foot off the ground. Any more cutting on it will require me to stand on something.

I'm not happy with any option I can think of.

Any ideas??

Attachments

• SplitTree1.jpg
    SplitTree1.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 201
  • SplitTree2.jpg
    SplitTree2.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 194
  • SpitTree3.jpg
    SpitTree3.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 196
   / How should I fell the remainder of this tree? #2  
Do you have access to a loader or some type of lift that would support the weight while you cut the trunk to reduce additional barberchair effect from over hanging load.

/ How should I fell the remainder of this tree?
Do you have access to a loader or some type of lift that would support the weight while you cut the trunk to reduce additional barberchair effect from over hanging load.
I assume you mean to lift up on that split part? No, my Ventrac can only lift a couple of feet.

I suppose I could put a 2x4 under that "tongue" to keep it from raising more as I nibble off the trunk. Interesting thought.

/ How should I fell the remainder of this tree? #4  
Mountainbuck,

Cut as most people would by notching close to the ground, at point below the barber poling, at point ninety degrees from point tree is currently leaning. Back cut and tree will fall over on its side.

/ How should I fell the remainder of this tree? #6  
Like Fuddy said, a pole saw would allow you to be at a (relatively) safe distance. Careful!

/ How should I fell the remainder of this tree? #7  
You probably have a pole saw. It's going to want to keep splintering but a pole saw standing off to the side start cutting at arrow. You'll be safe like that, and it won't take long.View attachment 783506
I would first cut the piece that the arrow is on, then cut where the arrow is pointing.

/ How should I fell the remainder of this tree? #8  
Mountainbuck,

Cut as most people would by notching close to the ground, at point below the barber poling, at point ninety degrees from point tree is currently leaning. Back cut and tree will fall over on its side.
Yep. Easy cut. No question about which direction it will want to fall. Forget the break above. Just fall the tree.

/ How should I fell the remainder of this tree? #9  
I've got this crazy white pine the top split last year. A limb took off becoming the new top! It's way too high for a pole saw and yesterday I tried an extension pipe on it. Finally tried a 12ga with slugs which did blow holes in it but still wouldn't drop. Too many limbs to throw a rope over.
Maybe I'll just keep shooting at it! View attachment 783513View attachment 783514View attachment 783515
Wish I was your neighbor!!! I'd help you shoot it down!!!! Good clean American fun!!! :cool: