How many stumps would you need to do to make the stump grinder worth it?

/ How many stumps would you need to do to make the stump grinder worth it? #1  

mattme

Tractor
Kubota B7100HST
I have about 60 2-3 foot diameter stumps I want to remove. At what point would it be worth buying the stump grinder attachment vs contracting or renting a dedicated grinder? Are there ballpark numbers people use per stump for helping to work out whether it is worth it? Would getting an excavator in to pull them out completely be cheaper on such a scale?

/ How many stumps would you need to do to make the stump grinder worth it? #2  
Around here it's 100 to 200 per stump for that size. I ground about 200 stumps in my yard when I cleared my house spot and now I have 200 holes in my yard.

/ How many stumps would you need to do to make the stump grinder worth it? #3  
Would getting an excavator in to pull them out completely be cheaper on such a scale?
Even using an excavator, there is going to be some hand work cutting roots around the stumps. I wouldn't go that route.

At 60 stumps it seems pretty obvious you have enough work to justify purchasing a grinder. If you purchase one, remove the stumps, then re-sell it I believe you will be at far less cost than hiring it out. But of course you have to do the work as well.

/ How many stumps would you need to do to make the stump grinder worth it? #4  
The answer is YES

/ How many stumps would you need to do to make the stump grinder worth it? #5  
I have a Ventrac stump grinder and I use it without the stupid mirror .... They work on normal size stumps pretty good.... 2-3' and that many, I would look for something bigger..... I have done about 30+ some up to 2', it takes many long days..... jim

/ How many stumps would you need to do to make the stump grinder worth it? #6  
Buy it, use it and resell it and move on. You'll recoup your investment that way.

/ How many stumps would you need to do to make the stump grinder worth it? #7  
Even using an excavator, there is going to be some hand work cutting roots around the stumps. I wouldn't go that route.

At 60 stumps it seems pretty obvious you have enough work to justify purchasing a grinder. If you purchase one, remove the stumps, then re-sell it I believe you will be at far less cost than hiring it out. But of course you have to do the work as well.
If I'm using a track hoe there won't be any hand work involved. You just have to get one large enough to do what you need to do.

/ How many stumps would you need to do to make the stump grinder worth it? #8  
I'd say a stump grinder would be a much less expensive alternative....

/ How many stumps would you need to do to make the stump grinder worth it? #9  
I am guessing it will take about 30-40 minutes to grind a 2-3' diameter stump with a tractor mounted PTO grinder depending on the PTO HP and type of wood. Here is a link that also has a video:

$2300 is not a bad price. But 60 stumps might take over 30 hours. I would call the manufacturer and get a feel for the time needed.

I had a guy come in to take out a 3' diameter stump four years ago. He used a 60 HP grinder and the machine cost over $80k. I thought the $200 charge was "cheap". I will be filling that hole for years as the stump decays but at my age it will not be my problem for too long...LOL BTW used the same guy a few weeks ago to take out a half dozen more stumps 10-18" and it cost $500...he was done in less than an hour.

An excavator should have all 60 of your stumps pulled in a less than a day but then you have a mess to clean up.

If I had your problem, I would buy the grinder mentioned above but I have a decent sized tractor to power it (32 PTO HP). Also, burning 60 stumps that large will take at least a day and I would need fill for the holes. Plus I could sell the grinder after the job is done and get back 50%.

/ How many stumps would you need to do to make the stump grinder worth it? #10  
When you contract or rent the grinder, the money goes down the road with the contractor or to the rental shop. Poof!

When you buy a grinder you still have the same amount of wealth. It’s just been converted from one form to another. (From ink blots or electronic bits on a bank statements to a piece of engineered steel on your tractor.) It can always be converted back (minus what you’ve used or has expired).
….but time is money too, so make that part of the calculus if each stump takes 40 minutes to grind.