How deep a hole is needed for my bell?

/ How deep a hole is needed for my bell? #1  

PACountryGuy

Tractor
Kubota
What should be the depth and diameter of a hole to hold a 21-foot tapered steel pole with a 30-pound bell at the top. The bell has a shaft to attach to a rope and we do plan on ringing it for no good reason.

I am thinking of concrete and rebar for the hole. But how deep and what diameter?

The pole has a mounting plate with four holes at its base.

My soil in Western Pennsylvania is heavy and silty. Some may call it clay, but I was told long ago by an engineer that is not really clay.

I could also use suggestions on mounting the pole to the base, too, and how to raise it. I don' t know how heavy it is. The pole is about 6 inches at the bottom and tapers to maybe three inches at the top. I was thinking about fabricating a hinged base, then using a block and tackle and gin pole, but what would I fasten the this to? A tractor? A truck.

This operations is not different than raising a flag pole, but my 60-foot flag pole was raised by a well driller friend who was here drilling my well some time ago.

/ How deep a hole is needed for my bell? #2  
What is frost line in your area? You have to be that deep at a minimum.

for a pole that high I would say 4 foot minimum

/ How deep a hole is needed for my bell? #4  
Your frost line is closer to 18” just like mine. And as far as raising it, can you lift the small end! If so just roll it so the fat end will slide into the hole and push it up by hand.

If u can’t lift the top end, clamp two 2x4s to you bucket and scoop up the top between the wood.

If you put it in 4’ no concrete is necessary with the base on it. Dig the hole wide enough to let the base fall into. Tamp dirt down periodically as you fill. If you put it in much shallower than that, concrete will help.

/ How deep a hole is needed for my bell? #5  
Are you planning on bolting the pole at the base or are you going to bury the base?
If bolting it, the diameter of the concrete base should be double of what the base on the pole is. That way, the anchor bolts will be set in a few inches from the edge of the concrete. 3-4' depth would be plenty.

I f you're going to bury the base in the concrete, the hole only needs to be big enough to get the base in the hole. Again, 3-4' deep.

/ How deep a hole is needed for my bell?
Hmm. I was told my frost line is far lower than 18 inches. That’s good news.

The base has bolt holes. And I plan to have that base above the concrete.

Doughknob, can you please explain the 2x4 thing you suggest?