Hole in the Wall Buffet's and Restaurants

/ Hole in the Wall Buffet's and Restaurants #31  
Many mom and pop places are excellent, but bad ones while traveling can be downright miserable. If we do eat at a chain while traveling, it needs to be one that does not have a presence near home.

We don't take many road trips anymore, but when we do I try to do the same. Then again, there are very few chain restaurants with a presence near us, so that's not as hard as it sounds. We discovered a burger chain called Culver's on a trip thru the midwest last summer, highly recommended!!
One chain that I completely don't understand the cult following on is White Castle. Just awful. YMMV.
No one around here has a clue what a real 'grinder' is.

People call 'em subs around here, but I agree. Seems like it's mostly chains these days...OK, and consistent but nothing like the old mom & pop sub shops of 40 years ago. Even the general stores, pizza shops, etc. that make deli subs aren't as good as I remember them.
Sounds like the old Godfather's pizza chain with the pineapple pizza, they also had dessert pizza that was good as well, buffet everyday at lunch time until they closed.
The chain I was referring to was called Pizza Haven or something similar. According to Wikipedia they went bankrupt in the late 90s.

/ Hole in the Wall Buffet's and Restaurants #32  
We don't take many road trips anymore, but when we do I try to do the same. Then again, there are very few chain restaurants with a presence near us, so that's not as hard as it sounds. We discovered a burger chain called Culver's on a trip thru the midwest last summer, highly recommended!!
One chain that I completely don't understand the cult following on is White Castle. Just awful. YMMV.
Completely agree. Culver's is based in WI and is good stuff. There are a few of them down here. Much more common in the North Central states. Not sure how White Castle got its cult following.

/ Hole in the Wall Buffet's and Restaurants #33  
Not exactly a hole in the wall, but the Big Texan Steak House in Amarillo has great steaks and the BEST CALF FRIES in a tri-state area. We always eat there when we are in the neighborhood; and you can always try your hand...or stomach...as the case may be, on the 72 ounce steak...free if you can eat it all.

/ Hole in the Wall Buffet's and Restaurants #34  
Amy and I have our favorite 'dives' so to speak around here actually. We have a pizza place in the next town over that is to die for. best pizza we have ever had. Of the beaten path... no beaten path in that town anyway and there is another Mexican joint a bit south of us and it too is over the top. We go there so much, the server don't even give us menu's, he knows what we are having... 3 soft taco's and a large root beer 2 ways. Only Mex place I've ever been too that I don't get indigestion from.

I stay away from places like McDees like the plague, same with KFC and Rally's. Sodium loaded food of questionable origin and Wendy's is at the very bottom for us. Same with Booger King. Unhealthy food at insane prices. We pass, always.

/ Hole in the Wall Buffet's and Restaurants #35  
Amy and I have our favorite 'dives' so to speak around here actually. We have a pizza place in the next town over that is to die for. best pizza we have ever had. Of the beaten path... no beaten path in that town anyway and there is another Mexican joint a bit south of us and it too is over the top. We go there so much, the server don't even give us menu's, he knows what we are having... 3 soft taco's and a large root beer 2 ways. Only Mex place I've ever been too that I don't get indigestion from.

I stay away from places like McDees like the plague, same with KFC and Rally's. Sodium loaded food of questionable origin and Wendy's is at the very bottom for us. Same with Booger King. Unhealthy food at insane prices. We pass, always.
I think the point here is to share your secret places with the group. :)

/ Hole in the Wall Buffet's and Restaurants #36  
I think the point here is to share your secret places with the group. :)
I can do that... The Pizza place is called Lena's and it's in Blissfield, Michigan just east of the town square about 1/4 mile on the north side of the road and they also serve hard booze if that is your fancy... Blissfield is one of those sleepy little farm towns that dot the landscape up here.

The Mexican place is called LaFiesta and it's on US 24, about 10 miles north of the Ohio, Michigan line, smack dab in the middle of nowhere. If heading north, it's on the left side just before Rauch Road.

I might add we have a Culvers ibn the big city of Adrian which is about 20 miles west of us and the Culvers is right in front of my favorite tool emporium, Harbor Freight so, if we go to HF, we always stop for lunch there. Both of us like the Double Bacon Butter Burger with a side of REAL deep fried onion rings, best rings I've ever had actually and IU always get a large strawberry shake and it has chunks of strawberry in it (and plugs up my straw) too.. I guess you can classify Culvers as a fast food place but compared to the others, there is no comparison.

Place is always busy no matter what time of day it is.

How's that Torvy?

/ Hole in the Wall Buffet's and Restaurants #37  
In the late 1980s my wife & I saw a buffet restaurant when traveling through Crossville Tennessee. Two very elderly sisters ran it and were the cooks. You have to imagine what it was like, ladies with probably 70+ years of Southern cooking experience. I remember the price was amazing also, something like $6. It was the best home cooked food you can imagine.
I asked about dessert and one said "Oh, the homemade cakes and pies are 90c extra!"
Then at home I turned on the Johnny Carson show and those two ladies were guests! Johnny couldn't believe the prices.

/ Hole in the Wall Buffet's and Restaurants #38  
I have to say that years ago, Amy and I were on vacation and travelling near Dollywood and stopped at a hole in the wall diner for some breakfast and it was downright horrible. Didn't even finish the food and got sick down the road a bit. So did Amy, both of us had the Hershey squirts big time. hope that place folded.

Ruined our day.

Didn't leave a tip either....lol

/ Hole in the Wall Buffet's and Restaurants #39  
Was in Bellingham Wa. this morning after my 50 year HS reunion last night. Hotel free breakfast was pretty bad yesterday so I hunted around for something better. Found it a place called "The Birch Door Cafe", family owned for 3 generations. Some of the best scratch made sourdough buttermilk pancakes that I have ever had, big thick slices of locally sourced bacon. If your ever near there it's worth going to. I was seated immediately but 15 minutes later the line was out the door!

/ Hole in the Wall Buffet's and Restaurants #40  
I have to say that years ago, Amy and I were on vacation and travelling near Dollywood and stopped at a hole in the wall diner for some breakfast and it was downright horrible. Didn't even finish the food and got sick down the road a bit. So did Amy, both of us had the Hershey squirts big time. hope that place folded.

Ruined our day.

Didn't leave a tip either....lol
In my travels, I've found the worst examples of southern INhospitality to be at diners, especially in small towns. Once they figure out you're not from around here (or worse...a Yankee:eek:), the quality of service goes right down the tubes. Cold/undercooked/overcooked food, really slow, rude service, and for all I know they spit in your order. Penny tip for them!
Sheesh, the civil war was over a century and a half ago, get over it!