hobart stickmate ac/dc arc welder

/ hobart stickmate ac/dc arc welder #1  

big bubba

Elite Member
Tractor
M8540
finally letting my old Lincoln tombstone a/c welder go after many years. i only weld with torch & arc for farm utility applications. anyone have personal experience with the following arc welder? looks like a good upgrade. again, all i do is stick welding. thanks in advance

Hobart Stickmate LX 235AC/16DC

/ hobart stickmate ac/dc arc welder #2  
It is a very good machine and good for smaller electrodes where fussy apps can call for a couple amp adjustment. I was doing something the other day, can't remember exact what it was but would have fussed with it if mine had infinite.
I remember now, was a couple bushings in all position. But, good arc, very reliable and way better than its ratings. That is priced right. Only other things i might consider is inverter 160 if you want to be portsble or a 200 if I was going to burn on heavy equipment regular and wanted to use larger rod.

/ hobart stickmate ac/dc arc welder #3  
Where the 200 shines is that it can do the work a Dialarc can from.a common 50A circuit
Having said that I used my 300 on stick once once in 25 years and still use my ac/dc buzzer for shop stick.

/ hobart stickmate ac/dc arc welder #4  
Well worth the upgrade from the AC machine. You should run towards that and not have a minutes buyer remorse over it. It's such a deal that it's worth charge card interest if you have any real work. I am sure we could find other opines but it is really a professional machine in the respect to the quality work it can do

/ hobart stickmate ac/dc arc welder #5  
Go to the welding store after and buy some number 2 at least 15 longer than you think you need, 25 if you work outside, chop lead off a foot outside and splice it to the stinger and take the stinger lead and make a whip or splice it to the work lead.

/ hobart stickmate ac/dc arc welder
hey thanks to the above members for thoughts on the Hobart. the specs meet my needs i think. like the dc reverse, about all i will use. prob will replace w/a more substantial ground clamp. 1/8 6011 & 7018 is about all i use, so should meet the bill. prob will go ahead. thx again
like the Hobart name anyway, that's where i went to weld school so many yrs ago in Troy, Oh cheers

/ hobart stickmate ac/dc arc welder #7  
like the Hobart name anyway, that's where i went to weld school so many yrs ago in Troy, Oh cheers

Where you went to school was Hobart Bros. Company no longer exists, bought by ITW slime holding company importer.

When you went to school in Troy did you learn OxyFuel first? Hobart Bros was famous fer teachin O/F first.

/ hobart stickmate ac/dc arc welder
Where you went to school was Hobart Bros. Company no longer exists, bought by ITW slime holding company importer.

When you went to school in Troy did you learn OxyFuel first? Hobart Bros was famous fer teachin O/F first.

hello, & thanks for question. mainly basic & pipe arc welding instruction at Hobart school, followed by oxy/acet training & job on west coast. at a young & clueless age (still am) was impressed by weld tests including etch test at Hobart..... but off topic now...think the new welder will be a keeper & thx for replies

/ hobart stickmate ac/dc arc welder #9  
Hobart dropped all of their stick welders
except the 140i and the engine driven
welder generators.

JW5875

/ hobart stickmate ac/dc arc welder #10  
Hobart dropped all of their stick welders
except the 140i and the engine driven
welder generators.

JW5875

UM NO.
After ITW bought Hobart Bros and turned it into HoFart, thinking they could finally build a DC generator machine under the Hobart brand, Lincoln sued knowing what ITW was trying to do.

ITW chose to abandon the field and gave Motor driven generators, Plasma Welding and Plasma cutting to Thermal Dynamics along with all parts, drawings and rights to said machines to settle the suit.
ITW then continued along whoring both the Hobart name and Miller name.

Too bad yer in Arkansas Bubba, nice ITW HoFart just popped up here
Hobart 235 - Miscellaneous Tools - Sterling, New York | Facebook Marketplace