Here is my new to me 420 garden tractor

/ Here is my new to me 420 garden tractor #1  

artfull dodger

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 420 garden tractor
My wife and I decide to go up a size in garden tractors for greater comfort at plow days than our old IH CC gives us. Picked up this low hour(534) 420 about an hour from home. Had a 60" deck on it that has only seen 3 seasons of use in its life, spent most of its time in the barn. The mower deck is for sale as I need a 50" cut deck to mow with her. So till I find one of those, either 3pt mounted or mid mount, the old cub still handles mowing duties. Gave her a good bath today, fitted my rear flood light, cup holder and amber strobe. Runs perfect! I will be doing a valve adjustment on the old girl here shortly. Dont see many 420's in this condition anymore in my area. Mike

/ Here is my new to me 420 garden tractor #2  
Looks great. Hope to see more pics of "her" soon. tks

/ Here is my new to me 420 garden tractor #4  
Did the trailer come with it? It looks home-made.

/ Here is my new to me 420 garden tractor
No it didnt, its an older Nomanco 4x6 tilt bed we have had for years. Paid a whole 200 bucks for it, best money we have spent on something, trailer has been all over half the country without any major issues.

/ Here is my new to me 420 garden tractor
Picked up this mower deck for my 420. Sold the mid mount 60" which was to wide to get thru a gate at the one yard I mow for a neighbor. This will be much easier to quickly hookup, mow and then take back off the tractor. Need to find some belt covers for it and give it a fresh coat of yellow next spring. Maybe someday we will move to the country and I will have a heated pole barn shop. Then I can do paint work thru the winter months.

/ Here is my new to me 420 garden tractor #7  
Picked up this mower deck for my 420. Sold the mid mount 60" which was to wide to get thru a gate at the one yard I mow for a neighbor. This will be much easier to quickly hookup, mow and then take back off the tractor. Need to find some belt covers for it and give it a fresh coat of yellow next spring. Maybe someday we will move to the country and I will have a heated pole barn shop. Then I can do paint work thru the winter months.
I would advise against putting belt covers on. Those covers will trap clippings and all kinds of debris, then it gets wet and works like a sponge to rot out the deck. Just keep your fingers out of the belt.

/ Here is my new to me 420 garden tractor #8  
I had one of those once. It worked good till a piston rod broke. I installed a new Kawasaki V twin. That motor was a lot lighter than the Onan it replaced and used a lot less fuel. I had to add a weight to the front to offset the roto tiller on the back. With tire chains and weights on the rear and a front blade I could move a lot more snow in less time than the fel did on the 955 that replaced it. Good memories!

/ Here is my new to me 420 garden tractor #9  
That's "purdy". But it doesn't look anything like my JD 420.

JohnnyPopper-1.jpg