Helping my son n law with a JD50

/ Helping my son n law with a JD50 #1  

Racer11

Tractor
Kubota 2400 jd 4240
My son n law inherited this jd50 and I have several questions about it.

1) How do we check the engine oil level,,, we can not find a dip stick.

2) We want to rebuild the carb,, is there a fuel shut off from the tank....we do not see one .

3) Where if any is a number located for the carb so we can get the correct kit

4) Would we be better off exchanging for a rebuilt carb vs working on ours or is just up to ourselves personal choice.

/ Helping my son n law with a JD50 #2  
Nice project.

Old service manual
Code:
https://archive.org/download/john_deere_models_50_60_70_I_and_T_shop_manual_JD_10/john_deere_models_50_60_70_I_and_T_shop_manual_JD_10.pdf

Parts.
Code:
https://archive.org/download/john_deere_model_50_series_tractor_parts_manual_PC264_/john_deere_model_series_50_tractor_parts_manual_PC264_august_1962.pdf

I'd say depends on how the carb is and how competent you are and or how much time you have.

/ Helping my son n law with a JD50 #3  

Attachments

• 50_oil_check.jpg
    50_oil_check.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
   / Helping my son n law with a JD50 #4  
My son n law inherited this jd50 and I have several questions about it.

1) How do we check the engine oil level,,, we can not find a dip stick.

2) We want to rebuild the carb,, is there a fuel shut off from the tank....we do not see one .

3) Where if any is a number located for the carb so we can get the correct kit

4) Would we be better off exchanging for a rebuilt carb vs working on ours or is just up to ourselves personal choice.

Sounds like you have the engine oil figured out. The two cylinder JDs are well worth fixing up.

On the carb, don't let anyone talk you out of the original carb. They were designed to be rebuilt indefinitely and originals are very expensive.

I would get a copy of John Deere's Service Manual SM-2024 which is a big 8.5x11" printed manual of about a hundred pages with great photos and illustractions. Covers everything on all their two cylinder carbs including how to identify which carb you have. You could build a library of literature that JD published on their 2 cylinder tractors.

Rebuilding your JD carb takes about $50 worth of parts to do a reasonably good job and can be done with hand tools on a kitchen table. Most of the time just taking the bowl off replacing the needle valve, and cleaning the gunk out of the passages is all it needs. Minimal or even no parts required. f you want a rebuild for some reason, that's OK. But keep that old carb. It's golden.

Don't know if there is a fuel shut off on yours. JD used several different fuel filter & shut off assemblies. Take a photo and lets see. When they did have shut offs on the fuel filter under the tank they get old and leaky. So it is fairly popular to interrupt the line down to the carb and put a better quality inline fuel shut off there.

We've had our old two cylinder JD for a lot of years and they are remarkable machines. Plus it does a lot of work.
rScotty

/ Helping my son n law with a JD50 #5  
racer posted last fall, but didn't give us a follow-up. May will not this time either.

Last edited:
   / Helping my son n law with a JD50 #6  
JD 50 carb kits.JPG

Straight from the John Deere parts book. Search by part number for your tractor and you should find something.

I might need to be corrected but I think the first number is just the gaskets. Numbers 2,3, & 4 are complete carbs and the last number is the carburetor service kit.

/ Helping my son n law with a JD50 #7  
I just did two complete JD carb rebuilds last November. Ordered all the parts online from Steiner Tractor Pts. Worked out fine. They have good descriptions of the parts and which carbs they fit. Prices about the same as anywhere else, but nice to have known good quality and they say if they have it in stock or not.

I seem to do better online than at the dealer - but that's mostly because I have my own parts manuals. It's just a habit to buy the parts and shop manuals for whatever equipment we have.

/ Helping my son n law with a JD50 #8  
Nice project, post pictures.
I just rebuilt a Marvel-Schebler 688TSX. They're bullet proof and simple. Just be careful not to gouge out the brass fittings when replacing the jets.
No way I'd put an aftermarket carb on there.
If it's over your head there's a guy in Ebay who lives in CA (Dan soemthing or other) and he rebuilds the tractor carbs.