Heating Oil (28 sec Kerosene) Added to Diesel

/ Heating Oil (28 sec Kerosene) Added to Diesel #1  

aesmith

Silver Member
Tractor
Siromer 304 (Y385T)
Hi, one of my jerrycans that I haven't used for years had about 3 litres of fuel sitting in it. The thing is I'm not sure if it's Diesel, or it may be heating oil 28 sec Kerosene. So my question is, would that do any harm added to Diesel fuel say no more than 5% at a time. The engines in question would be Y385 (Chinese tractor, 2004), Kubota D1105-BH (mid '90s mini digger) or Perkins 4.212 (Massey Ferguson 50B, 1976), so nothing particularly modern.
Thanks

/ Heating Oil (28 sec Kerosene) Added to Diesel
Really? I've got loads of fuel a lot older than that. I'm pretty sure the boat hasn't been refueled for at least five years. The question about old Diesel regularly comes up on the sailing discussion boards.

If this particular fuel is Kerosene as I suspect, it's been in that can for 11 years as that would date from when we moved house.

/ Heating Oil (28 sec Kerosene) Added to Diesel #4  
I wouldn't bother using 3 liters of old fuel, particularly since there is a question as to what it actually is. Here in the states heating oil is red dyed diesel #2, if it's old enough it could be high sulfur, but for the past 10 years or so (?) heating oil is ULSD.
I have no idea what you have across the pond.

/ Heating Oil (28 sec Kerosene) Added to Diesel #5  
Maybe not much of an issue with your older tractors. My fuel isn't around long enough to get old but when it starts to smell old I don't use it. Kerosene won't hurt you if the age doesn't.

Here in the states heating oil is red dyed diesel #2, if it's old enough it could be high sulfur, but for the past 10 years or so (?) heating oil is ULSD.
I have no idea what you have across the pond.
In the UK we almost exclusively use 28 sec Kerosene BS2869 C2, a lighter oil than Diesel. A very few systems use what is known as Gas Oil, or 35 second oil or BS2869 A2, effectively Diesel but not necessarily with the road fuel additives.

28 or 35 seconds refers to viscosity.

/ Heating Oil (28 sec Kerosene) Added to Diesel #7  
what worries me the most is the OP indicates and describes his situation as "...or it may be heating oil" and then later on "...If this particular fuel is Kerosene as I suspect..."

So it is not only a little old he is unsure what it even is.

Given it is only 3 litres (less than a gallon) and he is unsure what it really is I would recycle/burn pile/ or other use than feed it through even an old engine.

At least if he wasn't guessing some may take a chance but he is guessing what it is.... or maybe I be out to left field??? been there before and sure to go there again.

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: JJT
Thanks everyone. I can see that this wasn't a good question to ask of a US based group. I actually thought Kerosene was an American term, which is why I used that instead of "heating oil" which is unambiguous over here.

/ Heating Oil (28 sec Kerosene) Added to Diesel #9  
Thanks everyone. I can see that this wasn't a good question to ask of a US based group. I actually thought Kerosene was an American term, which is why I used that instead of "heating oil" which is unambiguous over here.

TBN has members from all over the globe! Kerosene is a term we use here, and many cut Diesel #2 with kerosene in the winter to prevent fuel gelling. For severe cold I have read of 50% kerosene being used. I have cut Diesel with 10% in the past without issue.
Older non common rail diesels are very forgiving, high pressure common rails not so much.

/ Heating Oil (28 sec Kerosene) Added to Diesel #10  
Kerosene stores very well.
Kero-fired torpedo salamanders fire right up after storage-assuming they are maintained at all.
Mix it in-why waste it!
Good Luck!