Harper Industries - DewEze Slope Mower MC70 maintenance

/ Harper Industries - DewEze Slope Mower MC70 maintenance #1  

solakian

I recently purchased a DewEze MC70 slope mower, manufactured by Harper Industries. This model was made from 1986 to 1997 with only a few changes along the way. I have not been able to locate the serial number of date of manufacture (DOM) but I suspect this is an early unit. The only service manual I've located (on the Harper Industries web site) is for 1991 and later models which have some features not on mine. I have several questions, I'm hopeful someone on this forum has knowledge about these machines.

1) the mower blades are gear driven, a central splitter box sends power through opposing driveshafts to right and left 90 degree gear boxes. All 3 gear boxes are lubricated with oil. The central splitter box has a remote oil drain/fill (?) plug that is located approximately level with the bottom of the splitter box sump. The manual says every 25 hours "Check oil level in splitter gear box" "refill as needed with 90 weight gear lube". No additional information is offered. Does anyone know how to confirm proper oil level? The unit's location in the center of the frame, just above the decks, makes it nearly impossible to see and the fill/drain plug seems to low to be the correct level.

2) where would I find the serial number on this machine? I would like to validate the DOM.

/ Harper Industries - DewEze Slope Mower MC70 maintenance #2  
As long as the fill plug is above everything (which it must be if it's a fill plug), I would just fill it to the top of the plug home

/ Harper Industries - DewEze Slope Mower MC70 maintenance #3  
This picture from an auction site on a 2003 model appears to show it facing up on the frame above the steering linkage. Probably not on your though since I am sure you would have noticed it.
For what it's worth.....

C9B3D4A0-5CC1-49B4-85A2-B9D32BC488DC.png

/ Harper Industries - DewEze Slope Mower MC70 maintenance
You're correct, except, as stated in my original post, the only plug available (labeled drain/fill (?) in my post) is approximately level with the bottom of the splitter gearbox sump.
As long as the fill plug is above everything (which it must be if it's a fill plug), I would just fill it to the top of the plug ho

/ Harper Industries - DewEze Slope Mower MC70 maintenance
This picture from an auction site on a 2003 model appears to show it facing up on the frame above the steering linkage. Probably not on your though since I am sure you would have noticed it.
For what it's worth.....

View attachment 749277
Thanks! There are no labels, like the photo you included, on my machine. If there were, it's probably gone by now. I'm hopeful a serial number is stamped into the frame somewhere.