Grease nipple for 00 grease

/ Grease nipple for 00 grease #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I have a troy bilt snow blower that calls for Shell Alvania grease. The part number looks to be 00 grade grease. The funny thing is they tell you in the manual to fill the gear case through the grease nipple. Thank goodness there is a plastic vent plug on top of the gear case. Is there really a way to pump 00 grease through a grease nipple?

/ Grease nipple for 00 grease #2  
Is there actually a grease fitting to use?

/ Grease nipple for 00 grease
Yes there is an actual grease fitting and the owners manual says to use it to fill the gear box. It seemed very odd to me. I was wondering if there is a way to fill 00 grease through a fitting that I didn't know about. My plan is to fill through the vent hole.

/ Grease nipple for 00 grease #4  
I was wondering if there is a way to fill 00 grease through a fitting that I didn't know about.
Buy the tube(s) and use a grease gun. If you already have it in bulk, refill an old tube. I've seen 00 greases in pails, tubes or squeeze bottles. Tractor Supply has it in squeeze bottles. They call it Cotton Picker Grease. You'll need the vent open to get it in or you could blow a seal out.

/ Grease nipple for 00 grease
I bought a new grease gun and transferred the grease from the squeeze tube to the gun. That worked so much better than trying to fill through the vent hole. This was the first time I had used 00 grease. By the way some people talk about it I thought the viscosity would be much lower.