Grapple for police cars

/ Grapple for police cars #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360

Bruce

/ Grapple for police cars #2  
The only potential issue I see is the probabilty of destroying brake lines. Not sure what level of liability an agency would have, if it ripped out the brakes but didn’t disable the vehicle, and the subject continued on into an accident.

/ Grapple for police cars #3  
The only issue I can see is how close they have to get to the back wheel. I'm sure damage to the vehicle is of no consequence to the officer in pursuit. The camera angle is not the point of view of the driver, it can be tricky to understand see what's going on or if you're lined up, lots can go wrong. If anything I would have an M configuration that expands maybe 6-8 so they don't have to get on top of the vehicle that is fleeing.

/ Grapple for police cars #5  
I think that is cool as hell. Seems to work pretty good too. After they get the vehicle stopped then you let the K9 officer chew on their ass for awhile. Go get’em Smokey !!!

/ Grapple for police cars #6  
Maybe so but I remember having a sticking LR brake without knowing it. I touched the brakes at 35mph... I did a complete 180 in the road and landed in the other lane.

/ Grapple for police cars #7  
I’m sure would deploy it in a safe area, like when they do a pit maneuve. Plus maybe these idiots might need to pull over when told too instead of acting like fool.

/ Grapple for police cars #8  
Active interventions like P.I.T. are highly controversial and have caused a number of deaths. Some departments prohibit use of it while others restrict it to only specially trained officers and vehicles

I don't do videos, but various forms of devices deployed by pursuing vehicles have been tried over the years with varied results. None have been adopted to any scale.

One concept that holds some promise is 'tagging' vehicles with trackers launched from pursuing vehicles. The officers then back off out of site and track the vehicle electronically. They stay near enough to be able to move in once the vehicle stops or gets to an area that is safer for more active operations.

One of the main risks of any pursuit is the high adrenaline rate of all involved. It's been shown that the more officers try to stop a fleeing vehicle, the more those fleeing with try to avoid capture. Overt shows of force rarely entice fleeing drivers to stop. Sometimes, but rarely.

Once the pursuing vehicles back off, the suspects feel a sense of relief that they've 'gotten away' and slow down, blend in with other traffic and often go home or to other places they feel safe. They don't always know they're still being tracked by aircraft or other means until it's too late to escape again.

The days of wild hot pursuits really need to end. There are now too many other ways to apprehend with far less risk.

It may be good for the movies, but .....
Vanishing Point (1971) Filming Locations - The Movie District

IMCDb.org: 1967 Chevrolet Camaro in Vanishing Point, 1971

Ghost Town: Cisco, Utah: Vanishing Point 1970 - Video Captures

Last edited:
   / Grapple for police cars
Active interventions like P.I.T. are highly controversial and have caused a number of deaths. Some departments prohibit use of it while others restrict it to only specially trained officers and vehicles

I don't do videos, but various forms of devices deployed by pursuing vehicles have been tried over the years with varied results. None have been adopted to any scale.

One concept that holds some promise is 'tagging' vehicles with trackers launched from pursuing vehicles. The officers then back off out of site and track the vehicle electronically. They stay near enough to be able to move in once the vehicle stops or gets to an area that is safer for more active operations.

One of the main risks of any pursuit is the high adrenaline rate of all involved. It's been shown that the more officers try to stop a fleeing vehicle, the more those fleeing with try to avoid capture. Overt shows of force rarely entice fleeing drivers to stop. Sometimes, but rarely.

Once the pursuing vehicles back off, the suspects feel a sense of relief that they've 'gotten away' and slow down, blend in with other traffic and often go home or to other places they feel safe. They don't always know they're still being tracked by aircraft or other means until it's too late to escape again.

The days of wild hot pursuits really need to end. There are now too many other ways to apprehend with far less risk.

It may be good for the movies, but .....
Vanishing Point (1971) Filming Locations - The Movie District

Ghost Town: Cisco, Utah: Vanishing Point 1970 - Video Captures

"The 383 car was also used as the tow vehicle in the crash scene at the end of the movie. A quarter-mile cable was attached between the Challenger and an explosives-laden 1967 Chevrolet Camaro with the motor and transmission removed. The tow vehicle was driven by Loftin, who pulled the Camaro into the blades of the bulldozers at high speed. Loftin expected the car to go end over end, but instead it stuck into the bulldozers, which he thought looked better"

Bruce

Bruce

/ Grapple for police cars #10  
I noticed they did not show another scenario where once stopped the driver hammers it wide open after shifting into reverse, possibly unwinding/releasing the grappler, then smashing in the front of the police vehicle.